I Bought Deepwoken, So here's what's gonna happen

yeah ik. but just really annoying.

the game is designed around losing items and builds, it is a roguelike after all

if thats a big problem to you then roguelikes probably just arent your thing

AO isnt all about builds and wiping to try new builds though, people who think its anything like deepwoken are just gonna disappoint themselves. The game has always been advertised as a story/worldbuilding/exploration game, pvp is just something you can do on the side, just like everything else in the game.

The target audience for AO covers a wide margin of players while deepwoken mainly targets pvpers, so obviously if all you look for in a game is pvp, and you don’t like the game’s pvp, you’re probably not gonna like the game

15 Likes

VERSE 2 literally fixed that by making progression 4x faster (taking you under a day to max if you speedrun it) and made it so that there’s way more certainty with your builds and less RNG (removal of luck, the new multi-deck system, the skill tree leaning NPCs, etc).
No offense though, you did bring up some interesting points, but they overall fall under each individual player’s personal interests ans what they enjoy in a game. Personally, the permadeath adrenaline is pretty dope

1 Like

He wasnt saying anything against AO as a whole, he was just providing a counterpoint to TheoreticalExistence’s comparison about builds

4 Likes

Oh my gawddd just close the discussion

Naw, the argument itself is eventually gonna die out.
I still wanna see more about the OP’s original discussion and his adventures

3 Likes

Ur completly wrong.

With shrine of blasphemy it takes less than 2 hours to reach max level

Yes, this is exactly the point I was trying to make. Unlike deepwoken, AO isn’t centered around builds but instead the exploration and story. Obviously, deepwoken is going to have more build complexity than AO, but that isn’t a bad thing. Because AO is more storyline-focused, it makes sense to play through the game in one build, but deepwoken is more lore-focused which means it takes time to experience the whole story and thus the devs can afford to have players lose characters.

3 Likes

this is the most civil thread this forum has ever had about deepwoken, its fine right now

what the hell is shrine of blasphemy that sounds like some shit out of elden ring

npc that gives you 3 levels (45 points). costs 2 knowledge and gives you a flaw.

1 Like

I FORGOR :skull:
I think S.o.B. only raises you up 3 levels though, but thats STILL A LOT

Day 3 footage has been recorded. What a playthrough. I think the 5 day post will be the most action-packed thing I post on the forums for a long time.

I didn’t play alot bc it’s christmas, meant to spend time with family and stuff (which is a good thing), so I only played in the evening.

I also managed to get to power 2 by myself this time! But not without issues :confused:

Edit: I will also do something like this for AO when it releases

1 Like

Here we go. I’ll probably make my own review. I’ve been playing it for over a year. Though, I’ll probably need to play more verse 2 before fully making it

1 Like

i guess, but as the dood above did say multiple times, he and i don’t know really any system that is completly dependent on the perma death system. still hasn’t gotten a concrete answer to it either lol. but yeah as i said, people can enjoy deepwoken, i don’t care too much. verse 2 sounds nice with the things, but i don’t like the combat enough for me to warrant playing it, especially with AO around the corner.

Its not that deepwoken’s game mechanics are dependent on its permadeath, but rather the game is built around this system. You can remove all the permadeath from the game and it would still be functional, but it would lack the creative direction that the developers were going for. If you want an answer to “what is dependent on permadeath” the best response would be the build creativity. 60+ talents per build, a combination of one or more magics, a choice from 3 weapon styles each with their own weapon class, a complex stat system, resonances, oaths, enchants, murmurs, and all of this is customizable to the player’s preferences. With this much variation in builds, each run will be different from the last, and losing a character just gives you a chance to try something new or retry the same build and improve it with what you learned in your last life. Yes, you could have this much build complexity without permadeath, but it would lose the satisfaction of creating a build tailored to your preferences because everyone would just metamance the same build with no risk.

3 Likes

also permadeath is good for wiping failed builds (stupid rng)

hey, do you know what erasing something does?

This is the shitshow I missed.

1 Like