Some more AO curiosities

Based on other AO trivia topics like Bio’s and Catean’s, this one focuses a bit more on gameplay, and consists of minor stuff I haven’t seen anyone else say, as well as niche bugs.

Semi-obvious facts
  • Sirens can’t follow you if that’ll get them too far away from their Rock.

• Atlantean ships can’t cross the border between the Dark Sea and the War Seas.

• You can’t unload your ship if you don’t have a crew equipped.

• You can’t change equips while in combat on WoM, though you can in AO.

• Lord Elius’s eyes are lavender on his second phase.

Less noticeable facts
  • Quartermaster’s low ship HP warnings only appear when your ship crosses the 50% HP threshold, they’ll also notify you for even scratch damage (this includes 3 damage large waves). Cooldown appears to be 1 second between messages.

• The limit of fish your crew can catch is 4. You can’t wait for 3 hours and expect a good haul.

• Dark Sea ghost ships receive audible sail tearing damage if they pass through a tornado (I assume same thing happens with lightning and waves)

• Deckhands artifact items are counted as Trash when fished up.

• Empty bottles do not display an exclamation mark nor a treasure bag if you’re fishing.

• Server-wide messages are normally disabled while in the Dark Sea, except for successful Grand Navy execution/defeated by rival messages.

• Lost Cargo counts towards chests opened for exploration task purposes.

• Grand Navy faction cannot damage Kingdom (Sameria/Ravenna, not Keraxe) nor Merchant ships, but it can hurt the former’s crews (Bronze Legion can fight against Notoriety marines).

Bugs..?
  • Chests dug by a modified shovel are determined by the one used to dig it, to avoid situations where you use a Marking shovel to discover the treasure and then use a Rich/Fortune one to get extra luck on the chests.
    However, you can circumvent this if the first chest dug is a Sealed Chest.

• Magic M1s count towards the spells used stat.

• Cannoneer Deckhands’s Orders skill does not affect hunting attachments.

• Anglerfishing quest only counted regular Anglerfish until the Nimbus update, where all variants count.

• You can only obtain clan infamy if there are at least 10 players on the server and two different clans. It’s not claiming infamy (according to the game), but infamy as a whole.

Niche area
  • You cannot change equips if you’re holding an item such as a gunpowder barrel/sealed chest/cargo.

• You cannot deposit galleons into your clan’s bank while in combat.

• On World of Magic, landing from a high height will play a sound effect and destroy terrain, this doesn’t exist in Arcane Odyssey.

• Fish caught stat counts items caught, but “catch fish” quests do not.

• If a crew NPC ends up randomly named as another existing quest NPC, it will count towards your quest marker.

• If, for some reason, you don’t have the “Welcome to AO badge”, you’ll default as 3rd gen. (joined as an alt that never played AO before, somehow got 3rd gen, then when I rejoined I obtained the badge and changed to 5th gen).

• The only way to obtain the Lamina username is by teleporting to another player as a WoM file (you won’t be able to re-choose magics).

8 Likes

if you have negative rep, you can shoot castaways with something like a bow (as long as it doesn’t do more than like 70ish damage), and it will aggro them

it’s a less risky way to interact with castaways compared to just jumping into the water and hoping there aren’t any sharks

2 Likes

Collecting an item counts towards exploration on the island that it came from, not the island that the item is on.

The only thing this really applies to is sky lemons that have fallen down onto harvest island, but still count towards exploration on djin ruins

3 Likes

Can you explain this better? I’m so confused sorry ;-;

Is this like a secret Easter egg?

wait is that why i havent been able to earn infamy?
thought it only applies to claiming infamy

probably means the chests are determined the moment the first chests is found, so if you dig up the first one with a goldsight the rest wont have their rarity increased ( unless its a sealed chest for some reasons…? ) even if you switch to a fortune one

more like a bug since you join the game irregularly, thus skipping the recreate characters that everyone was supposed to get

3 Likes

What shovel enchant is in play for a certain chest is decided by which one was used to dig it first. So if you use goldsight to find a chest and then fortune to dig it up you’re not going to get the luck from the fortune.

But if you dig a sealed first you can use the fortune for the rest and you get the luck for all of them.

Ah okay, thank you

Wait, but by “joining the game irregularly,” if you already have all of your AO files filled up and join from WoM, would you replace one of your existing files or force a new one to be made without paying Robux?

if you have a file that was created since AO was still WoM, you’ll automatically be sent to the character creation menu if you join normally

teleporting to a player kinda skip that process i guess

the WoM we have rn have no connection to AO so you cant join AO from there

1 Like

Btw did you know lightning indicators for strikes were added to the dark seas?

Vetex listened :pray:

they were always there actually, the sky did in fact lit up shortly before lightning strikes

but unless you’re actively looking for them ( which isnt very ideal cause you need to look down/around to watch out for waves ) you can kinda predict where lightnings are gonna strike

the new indicators sure are a lot better tho

Pretty cool facts, didn’t know a couple of these actually. Would like to point out an inaccuracy though.

I spent an hour and a half fishing with some friends and when I returned to my boat I got five fish. I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten higher when doing long DS expeditions on a friend’s boat too. I think it just largely depends on if you have fishhook artifacts on your deckhands, since those do make a difference in speeding up catch rate, as well as how long you wait. I’m not sure if there is a solid cap for crew catches.