[Story Spoilers] Let's Talk about @WarmWater's Story Suggestion

Text Wall (Kinda)

Shits so good it deserves its own topic. I don’t want it to get buried in the sea of replies:

24 likes at the time of typing and for good reason-

It gives players a reason to care about Ravenna!

Don’t give me wrong, I’m no writer or critic and I like the story as-is. I personally believe that AO’s story is one of the better ones on the roblox platform with it’s only rivals being Deepwoken’s lore (lol) or entry point. If nothing changes, Ok then. But we can’t deny that the story can be better, way better.

Elius, Carina, Argos, Julius, Calvus, Revon: All major players who do not appear until the mid-endpoint of the game. Other than Argos somewhat, there isn’t really a noticeable buildup to any of these characters, so when I confront them…

Eh.

Crimson Pants made note of this too and I feel like crimson’s observations and Warm Water’s suggestion are similar, but complete eachother. Here’s an excerpt from Crim’s essay:

A small “Recognition of Frostmill’s Hero” at Ravenna that introduces some of the nobles and gives you a chance to talk to them sounds like a great idea. You could learn about legendary heroes like argos (so that he doesn’t come out of nowhere), Julian can be the players first introduction to curse users (so Elius’ explanation of curses feels less lore dumpy), and overall this would give you a false sense of security and make new players go “Huh, these guys don’t seem so bad. What was iris (Frostmill) on?” This will make the big reveal that much more impactful (or obvious…)

It can also recontexualize already existing dialogue:

Now I do not have the suggestion role, but if someone reading this does, well…you know what to do. If we can compile all of these story changes into a coherent suggestion, I think it would be worth the effort and hopefully vetex isn’t averse to these ideas. It’s not like he has to animate a new cutscene for this to happen.

TL;DR
  • Warm Waters suggestion is fire and needs to get in the game ASAP. Someone please make a “Bronze Sea Story Changes” Suggestion that addresses some story problems brought up by the community that are not already planning to be addressed (i.e Order reveal not having much build up).

• Some, not all, but some characters that are secretly a part of the order should appear earlier so that I actually care when their identity is revealed and I have to fight and kill them.

17 Likes

sounds cool, it would’ve been nice to hear a bit about carina before fighting her, it was just really sudden and didn’t have much impact

I doubt Vetex would go through with reworking that much of the story, but the idea of visiting Ravenna before continuing onto Cirrus is appealing from an immersion standpoint. Gameplay-wise, forcing players to travel from Frostmill to the bottom of the map when most of them still have Rowboats or a Sailboat, and then back up to Cirrus afterwards, does not at all sound fun.

2 Likes

You know, the more I think back on what I just said, the game would honestly benefit pretty heavily from Ravenna being more centralized, rather than just being shoved near the bottom of the map away from quite literally any other relevant location.

If Ravenna was say, around where Sailor’s Lodge or Munera Garden is right now, the idea of visiting Ravenna after Frostmill could work out great.

3 Likes

I just hope this idea is brought into Samaria so we don’t just get a repeat of what happened with the Ravenna nobility.
Argos and Calvus were the only ones with any build up, and we still killed both on our first confrontation
Elius and Carina both were just people who spawned in to fight us and then also died :sob:
And yeah, Julius murks us out of nowhere while screaming “I FINALLY FOUND YOU!” despite not even knowing what we look like

The only character from Ravenna who seems to have a good buildup so far is Revon, who I hope becomes a actual threat and not just a joke.

• We meet him in Ravenna, he is nice to us and gives us info vital for the story
  • He views us as a ally
  • We murder his brother a month later
  • He still remembers his conversation with us and feels absolutely betrayed by us
  • Is not killed off immediately after trying to fight us
  • 100% coming back

But yeah, I’d definitely love to see bosses get some buildup to them, like meeting them or hearing about them beforehand, especially if there’s a big reveal that their with the Order.

6 Likes

Hey das me.

One thing to consider is that the release date put considerable strain on Vetex to get the story done as soon as possible. A more complex story will clearly take more time, and from the looks of things he would rather spend time developing content for the game rather then the story mode, which I can’t fault him for.

1 Like

That’s fair, especially with how hard the man works already

1 Like

elius had some build up with us learning about the dark figures and order of aesir

True, and it could be argued that is not knowing who he was at all makes sense with the context of the story
But as for everybody else :pensive:

1 Like

Yoo, somebody included my addition on their post, hell yeah!
My main concern is that I don’t know how Vetex takes story suggestions/criticism. I know that when he’s set on something, he usually stays pretty committed to it. So, if he likes how the story is right now, then I get the feeling he won’t want to see any feedback on it.
Then again, he probably will take a bunch more time to refine his story and look at feedback for the Nimbus Sea, so I imagine that it’ll turn out better. I’d still like to see these changes be implemented, though.

maybe there could be some weird thing where they let us hitch a ride on a bronze legion ketch?

One thing to change about the actual order menu if this is to happen, the silhouettes of the members shown shouldn’t actually be the character’s silhouette, more like a default character without hair or anything.

I mean if I saw a picture of Argos and then saw his Silhouette in the order menu, I’d instantly know
“lol its him”

3 Likes

unfortunately, that’s only build up to a fight.
Elius himself literally did not exist in the arcane universe until we fought him

1 Like

on another note, though.
excuse me what you’re a leader how can you not post in suggestions lol.

It’s something you have to explicitly apply for.

1 Like

well yea but I’d expect that to be packaged in with being a leader.

Carina fr said “Yo you killed my brother, prepare to die!”

Meanwhile us:

3 Likes

Leader is basically buffed regular, we can’t post topics in categories we don’t have the role for (art category, etc)

Tbh Vetex should consider this, and at least take a look at this. There should be some build-up to the characters.

on it :fr:

1 Like