Warden's discussion

Drop facts about vitality/warden and how it will work and how do you personally think it will work. SATISFY MY CURIOSITY :poggers2:

Personally I think it will be cool if they had two paths one in which they resemble warrior more by using their own soul to strengthen their physical capabilities and such and the other one resembles mage as they use their own soul but more so for attacks that are not physical and will also sacrifice the souls of other to strengthen such attacks. :triumph:

2 Likes

That is very unlikely to be accurate and in the game but I still like the idea of it. :pensive:

since vitality is supposed to be to weapons what magic is to strength i think, spirit weapons will probably be equipable items like weapons

i think it’d be cool if spirit weapons were based off items with some sort of spiritual relation or connection like prayer beads, lapis, or a shakujo

1 Like

Let him cook

I think it’s going to be a combination of 2 things
firstly, you have the actual weapon itself, basically the vessel

Weapon part

you would probably be able to find these just around the world in chests or from certain quests. The player should at least be able to get one at around level 10, which is where the forced savant part ends, so they can actually defeat the upcoming enemies (without having to rely on the old flintlock)
there could be multiple forms of vessels, and each variant would have a different stat focus. For example you could have an amulet, which would decrease casting time and increase projectile speed at the cost of size and a bit of damage, a sword could have faster casting speed and higher damage at the cost of projectile speed and size, a greatsword could have higher damage and size at the cost of speed, and so on.
This would make certain weapons work better with certain playstyles and certain spirit shards.

The second part is where this becomes a more unique feature to what’s in the game right now.

Spirit shards

Spirit shards are basically what makes warden a fun build to mess around with. The player would be able to insert a certain spirit shard into their weapon in the same way as how imbuing works (press and hold H). When the player selects the Spirit shard, they will put it in the vessel which causes it to glow and emit particles in the same colour as the spirit shard. While a spirit shard is in the vessel, the player will no longer passively regenerate HP until they either unequip the vessel, or unselect the spirit shard. (This rule is followed by all spirit shards, however some may have slight variations on this).

The player is also able to customise most spirit shards by clicking on them in their inventory (If they are a vitality based build or have the required vitality). When they do this, a screen similar to the add spells/techniques is shown. Each spirit shard will already have a few preset moves upon obtainment, which are also able to be customised. The skills that you can add to certain spirit shards will depend on the type of shard that it is. There are 4 types: Sorcerer, Brawler, Champion and Greater souls. Sorcerer will have skills that resemble a more magic based way of fighting, Brawlers will be more focussed on short range powerful attacks and gap closers, Champions will be a bit of both and Greater souls will only have preset skills, with special effects and sometimes a status effect. (Will only be from bosses or certain story events, like how the player obtained Poseidon’s soul)
Edit: Greater souls would also take health to use, but will in turn be the most powerful shards, thus making sure that the player doesn’t just only use those.

Currently, each class has a different way of obtaining new powers. For mages you have to find scrolls or awaken, for melee you have to find a teacher, for warrior you have to get lucky from chests or boss drops. It would only make sense if vitality also had a unique way of obtaining spirit shards. It would be a lot more fun if they were in a preset location, so you don’t have to worry much about rng (maybe also from bosses). However, this means that the player is only able to get 1 of them from the preset location per file, which is why they should make them untradable (except maybe the boss ones). There should also be a few shards that you can get from the dark sea, where they would rarely spawn in certain structures.

Different spirit shards should also have different special effect, like how one could be based around lightning, and one based around fire, or something like that. Maybe there could be one which you can find in akursius that inflicts insanity on the user and the person who is attacked, or one that has red lightning effects which can be found in the dark sea.

This could also be a fun way to reintroduce certain characters that died, back into the game, like maybe a weaker version of calvus’ grandpa or maybe that wave curse user that died on blasted rock.

You’ve somehow managed to read my mind, since I’ve been thinking about this for like 3 days now, wanting to make a topic but also not wanting to be smited by a mod for making a suggestion outside of suggestions :3

I took way too long to write this all down, and now it’s late and I’m quite tired.

3 Likes

It’s interesting and I would love to hear you elaborating on how exactly it will work, in my opinion both the weapons and shards should be considered a vessel as at the end of the day wardens main ability comes from their soul from what I understood.

This one can be really interesting and maybe work via linking the user’s soul to the enemy and then inflicting insanity as we know wardens will probably endure it and it might also add to the dark sea lore and the mysterious so called priests.

Imagine fullbringers from bleach. turns normal objects into weapons with some correlation. clock to glock with attacks that leave hazards because time

1 Like

there are 3 theories about their playstyle rn

debuffer/buffer, summoner and just… masochist warrior

im hoping it either of the first 2, preferably the first cause summoning wouldnt either sucks and or broken in this game tbh

Warden at a baseline will have the highest tiers for spirit weapons along with the highest damage reduction with Ekrix. As for potential 1st awakenings, I can see it going two ways:

1. Warden’s lose their energy bar and charging now regenerates health instead of energy. Healing may be reduced depending on if they’re in combat or not.

2. A Warden’s energy bar is converted into what I’ll refer to as a “life reserves” bar. This bar is equal to 1/10th of the players max HP, spirit weapon skills will pull from this bar before pulling directly from your health. This one is more a personal concept than a popular community-wide theory.

as a warden, taking damage would be more risky if you’re actively attacking the other person, since you can’t regenerate health while you’ve selected your weapons. That would be a lot more balanced and interesting than just taking a flat percentage of your max health each time you attack and thus lowering your total max health by like 30%, just like how drawback works.

Instead, warden players will have 3 options. They can either play more aggressively and risky, they can choose to try to stay back and use longer ranged attacks for less damage but more safety, or they can choose to simply stop attacking for a while to regenerate their HP.
Besides, I think like Ekrix works much better with my idea than with just baked in drawback.
Having a dash that reduces damage taken would work well with the first option of playing more aggressively and risky, and having to time the dash exactly right to negate some damage brings in a bit of skill while also closing the gap. With drawback it’s still useful, however you do have insanely high hp and regeneration, so it’s not that useful.

Also I think that this is a more skilful and more rewarding style of fighting compared to just having baked in drawback. With drawback, you would just have to find good opportunities to drain your health for an attack, and then just wait a bit to regen it all again. With my idea, warden players would have to commit more to being aggressive and risky in order to deal the most damage, but they will still have the option to stay back and be safer while dealing less damage.

Warden players would, of course be able to equip 3 different weapons. And since the spirit shards work like imbuements, this will allow players to quickly switch their way of fighting. This could lead to way more varied builds and different synergies, unlike a certain other statbuild (warrior, it’s literally just the same build over and over again). This would also allow warden players to quickly switch to their ranged option, when they’re at low health, and try to play more safely.

My idea for warden is a bit more of a tanky mixup class (like warrior), with a more high risk playstyle focussed around taking as little damage as possible while trying to do as much damage as possible. Besides, I feel like this would also simply work better with the different hybrid vitality classes, since it encourages them to use both aspects of their build in a fight. (If you’re a paladin, you would probably use the spirit weapons first, and then start using magic once you take damage to heal up.)

Tl:dr. baked in drawback for all spirit weapons is boring and kinda stupid. It makes more sense to disable health regen, since that would encourage a playstyle that’s more interesting and skilled.

forget i said anything

I think they’ll be necromancers

not even a suggestion tho

boutta steal this idea buddy :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

you see, hes talking about what he wants warden to be like

I know. and if it isn’t added to AO it’s mine now hehehehe

wait no i got fooled
i thought this was the original post

i think i’ve seen the post before so it sent me to the newest thing

It’s not?