ADIM: Story Simulation - Chapter VII: Extra Parts

Writer's Notes

chapter viii starts tomorrow, but I got yall the extra povs from other characters today

no polls on this one

thanks again to yall who read/vote on this story, I’ll try my best to bring the story to the end
(if my schedule isn’t affected by exams/school shit, i’d be able to wrap up story simulation before it reaches one year of its existence)

wait if you’re wondering if this part is required to read… not really, if you only care about rael’s pov.
but if you care about hints to his backstory (and jean’s backstory) then maybe

A special occasion, eh?
I’d expect fewer people around today, since this is simply a peek at other characters’ lives.
But if you do care about pieces of backstories—untold by the protagonists—this may be worth your time.

Also, Happy New Year to you all.
(It’s a few days late, but let’s ignore that. We don’t even share our worlds.)
(Our unstable existence is an enigma itself. But who cares? Let’s celebrate a new year together!)

:clinking_glasses:

On this morning, Ace and Issac were stationed at the Magic Council camp, placed nearby Summer Hold. Their shift changed today, and Issac’s head was filled with thoughts—mostly about yesterday’s attack at the Silent Tower, and Jean’s whereabouts.

Jean had been living with him and sharing his house for years. But with his job’s nature, he often had to leave her alone, or leave her with someone outside of their family. She’s already an adult, but something about leaving her behind felt wrong. Very wrong.
     The image of younger Jean waiting in front of his door—in the middle of heavy rain—stuck with him for years. And so did the moment she broke down in front of him, explaining her household situation—that was the night he took her in.
     As long as she had company to be with, he’s happy. But sometimes, he couldn’t help but to pressure himself to get his life together, so she would at least have a stable family, for once.
     Only if he had remaining family members to ask—

Issac snapped from his trance by a poke from Ace. “Wh— What is it?”
     Ace pointed at the two attacks sent above Summer Hold, and left the camp. Issac turned to check on the scouts who were still stationed at their spots, and rushed after Ace.

Soren was alone in his family’s home. His older children (including Rael) all went to different towns, and his younger ones went on adventures with their mom and grandparents, so he stayed back here.
     With them not around, he decided to use this opportunity to go through old items placed in the house.
     He went through his own diaries and memoirs, rereading entries about his children, as if to not forget about their stories. Even if some of the details were left blank, unknown for years. Like Rael’s ones.

As Soren flipped through the pages, he heard unfamiliar footsteps around, grabbed a club, and followed the sound through the rooms.
     “Show yourself!”
     The footsteps quickened, and he knew they were up for a chase. But the more he went after the footsteps, the harder it was to pinpoint the sounds along with the exact location. Had they already escaped? Did they disappear, or use one of the wizard-like tricks?
     Until he felt a strange warmth nearby, and swung his club towards their direction.
     The club hit the person in the ribs, who looked very much like his son, Rael. With Magius News issues he had read, he recognized her as Kat. But with the story behind Rael’s adoption, he also recognized her as…
     Katrina, the daughter of Elena Leos—the person he used to know, and the person who gave Rael up to him for undisclosed reasons.

Kat looked at Soren with a pained look, as her blue and brown eyes glared back at him. But from her stance, he noticed slight uncertainty in it, reminding him of Elena from years ago.
     “What are you doing here?” he asked, still threatening her with the club, despite recognizing her as Rael’s blood twin.
     Her eyes looked up and down him, as if she’s trying to recognize him too.
     “Is there anyone who goes by Soren Mills here?”
     “I’m the only Soren around here. Where’d you hear about me?”
     Soren paused for her answer, as Kat’s words struggled to get out. He wasn’t sure what would hold her back, so he continued, “Was it Ms. Leos?”
     Kat flinched upon hearing that name. With her look, he could tell she wouldn’t dare attack him, so he put his club down. “Follow me, we’re having a talk inside.”

After getting Kat inside the house, she looked around like she was studying this house. With all the unsolved questions between their families, this reaction wasn’t new to him.
     “Wait here,” Soren said to her as he left the room to grab some water.
     But once he returned, Kat was nowhere to be seen.