⚓ The Odyssey Feed ~ A Main Course of Information!

The Odyssey Feed 4

Published by Fang Percy.

Sunday, February 6, 2022 (US)

Refer to the table of contents on the right to navigate sections of The Odyssey Feed.

:headphones:

Sound Magic!

Sanctuary

By DM DOKURO

Click the link while holding “ctrl” to open the music on a new tab!

:scroll:

The Hook!

Welcome back to another anchor of the Odyssey Feed! It’s gonna be a really long one, so strap in, I suppose. I know I haven’t published in forever, and i’m going to be going over things as briefly as possible (which probably won’t be that brief :fr:). Enough groaning, let’s get started :mariomug:!

Here’s v1.8.46…

As we can see, the graphics ten system has been finished with optimization. Then we have some new vanity… 4 different pauldrons, of the leather, dark leather, bright leather, and iron varieties. I still remember using the Evil Pauldrons in Arcane Adventures… good days :nod:! Vetex seems to think this too, because he posted this.

An Arcane Adventures image, recreated in Arcane Odyssey. We’ve come a long way :frcryin:!

Speaking of optimization and coming a far way, Vetex said this…

That’s interesting, and probably takes a lot of the boring work off of Vetex’s shoulders (Sorry I mean pauldrons :fr:).

The Pirate Captain’s set has also been introduced, with the new Cloak and Legs items! The pirate set gives intensity, so it’s the first we’ve seen of that stat besides amulets so far, I believe. These items range from levels 50-100.

We also have the fancy set, with the Fancy Suits and Fancy Pants :sunglasses:. 16 color variations for each, and they give attack speed. You can effectively upgrade these from levels 1 to 50, but i’m sure they’ll be seeing some vanity use. Both the Pirate Captain and Fancy sets also have 16 different color variations :paintbrush:!

The hunting set is now also level 1-50!

Now we’re going to get into cooking :hungry:! Cooking pots have been added to nearly every existing island!

You can throw 4 items into the pot, and start cooking! The color of the liquid in the pot will be a mix between the colors of the items you threw in, so lots of ugly colors, unfortunately. What’s not unfortunate is the rest of the cooking system. All the items you have added will show up in a UI above the pot. Once you’ve finished, just cook up!

Oh my, what’s this? A mistake! My cooking skills got adde- I mean, this is the result of cooking up a recipe that doesn’t exist :v:. As you can see, it certainly isn’t very appealing besides the 5 hunger it grants, so make sure you can cook by the book! Or, just… game mechanics :fr:.

Speaking of food, Meals will display themselves in the food tab of your inventory, and they can be added to your hotbar/backpack. If you’re bad at cooking, you can buy some meals occasionally from Food Merchant NPCs :moneybag:! Unfortunately, you can’t flex this cooking to your friends, as the description of meals shows who cooked it… so make sure not to let your friends get their hands on any Mistakes you cooked :flushed:.

Fish also have “caught by” instead of “originally owned by” in their description. Makes a lot more sense :thinking:.

We have some new stats too… :sleeper:

That’s, uhh, a lot. My mistake percentage will be through the roof of the tallest skyscraper! Fortunately, Vetex has started to add more recipes so that I have a small chance of not cooking a mistake in the future :D.

Even more fortunately, I can get even better at cooking… in Arcane Odyssey :poggers2:! The more meals you cook, the higher your cooking skill level increases! There are 6 tiers, and you’ll be notified when you go up one. The higher your cooking skill is, the more hunger food will restore and the more impactful it’s status effects will be!

I’m not exactly sure what that red and very cross looking icon is next to Cooking Skill Level, but we should probably leave it alone and give it some time to cool off :nod::+1:.

Be careful when cooking together a lot of fruits though. The more of the same fruit you add to a dish, the less of an impact it will have. If you add a good variety, each of the fruits will add the same amount to the dish that would be gained if you ate them on their own :mag:. Of course, meals compact everything down :ok_hand:!

Make sure to grab a variety of fruits along your many perilous journeys so that your cooking could be worth it later!

And if food gives you a status effect, you can eat it even when you’re over 100 hunger! Of course it won’t add to that number, but that status effect will apply itself. This most likely makes it a lot less annoying when you just cooked up something that will give you some great effects :mariomug:!

Make sure not to have an existing status effect though, or you won’t be able to eat it. What makes status effects even more worth it is that they carry on through your death. Remember to eat well, kids. It’ll even affect your afterlife :sunglasses:!

But what are these status effects, you ask?

Fruit-based meals, along with just single fruits give invigorating as their status effect. It reduces the amount of stamina that actions take, -10% for each tier of meal.

We know the meal can affect the duration, but how good this meal is can also change how impactful it is. The 5 tiers of the meal will choose the punch your food packs :muscle:. You can see some more details in the rest of this note. Among these are a better meal display, showing the details of the status effect your food gives :nod:.

But it’s not only invigoration. Mushroom-based meals give energizing as their effect :lightning_magic_var1:! It increases the rate your stamina regenerates.

But how will you obtain these mushrooms? Brown and White mushrooms can spawn on forest islands now :mushroom:! Blue and Cursed mushrooms as well, accompanied by Orange Swiftcaps and Cloudcap Mushrooms which spawn on various other islands. Cloudcap Mushrooms can be sold by sky Food Merchants, and some of the others are sold by regular ol’ Food Merchants :mariomug:.

Trying to make a meal that gives several statuses at once? Forget about it! If your meal would have two status effects, it will end up as a mistake. I can’t believe Vetex wrote my origin story for me :heart:!

Here’s an image showing some meals in the inventory of the player:

Look at all that hunger value! Not only this, but you can also see what is assumed to be the sky boss island on the left of the screen, as well as what is also assumed to be the boss’s bow on the back of the player :nod::mag:.

Next up… fish now appear in your hotbar and backpack, and therefore can be held :fish:!

And because some of the biggest fish in the game (If you call them fish, they’re Eldritch monstrosities :flushed::cross:) can be held, it leads to things like the above images. Meanwhile, Vetex adds more and more recipes.

Invigorating and Energizing aren’t the only two status effects from food anymore. Fish now give the recovery effect, which increases the rate your health regenerates :heart:.

And we’re about to regenerate a lot more. Introducing large meals!

Large Meals are titanic dishes which can be placed down anywhere with sufficient space, even moving along with ships. The whole crew be eatin’ good :hungry:! Don’t worry, you can pick them back up.

Large Meals take a while to eat. An entire five bites, whether you eat by yourself or share with friends, will suffice to deplete the dish’s resources. You can even visually see how much of it has depleted :eyes:! Each bite gives the consumer 20% of i’s hunger, which makes sense, as it takes 5 bites.

However, each bite gives it’s full status effect. Which also makes sense, because you can’t get status effects from food if you already have a status effect, and it would be quite annoying :frhigh:.

Don’t worry. Nobody can just steal your food… only your party members and you will be able to feast upon it’s contents :wave:! However, if you leave the server, your placed meals will spontaneously cease to exist.

For example, this shark would quite like to eat your meal… and you. However, if you don’t invite said shark to your party, it cannot ravage your nourishment inventory :+1:.

And along with this, Vetex has something to say about dishes. They don’t rot :poggers2:!

But in a similar fashion to rotting, let’s get into some destruction. Heavy Blunt, Heavy Bladed, Heavy Cleaver, and Katana type weapons can break terrain and structures. Gonna be fun :smiling_imp:!

Rock Salt, Marjoram, Basil, Lemongrass, and Vanilla Herbs have all been added. These are all seasonings… a way to add a little spice to cooking :fire:! Seasonings multiply the durations of status effects to any meal it’s added to. However, this comes at the cost of restoring less hunger! Each seasoning has different multipliers and such :nod:.

Rock piles around the map can drop rock salt when obliterated, atomized, shattered, annihilated, exploded, destroyed, eviscerated, steamrolled, hammered, shredded, or deconstructed :boom:. A perfect job for our newly destructive weapons.

But rock piles can’t only just drop rock salt. They also have a somewhat rarer chance of dropping various gemstones! I’m rich :moneybag:!

The other seasonings mentioned can be found around on various islands.

This leads us to v1.8.60! Here you go.

First, we have some Cardamom, Clove, Pepper, and Garlic. These are seasonings (?), I believe. However, they also have their own special effects when added to recipes. The same goes to the somewhat more rare Horizon Rosemary, Sun Caraways, and Sea Kale :mariomug:.

The text next to the prompt for pressing E to interact with something is now brighter. Camps and Large Meals are now placed in front of you instead of at your mouse. A bit odd I must say, but there’s certainly a reason, no doubt :thinking:. Perhaps realism, or odd glitches.

Next, a humongous v1.8.61 :arrow_down:!

Finally! A chef-resembling NPC that teaches us how to cook, and gives us tips and even a side quest. This will certainly help newer and less knowledgeable players out :nod:.

Speaking of side quests, some will give players food, especially those in Redwake and Frostmill. That makes sense, as there probably isn’t much fruit growing on a man-made island full of rocky spires and pathways, or a literal glacier :fr:.

We then have some indication when you can’t do something, such as high level items you can’t equip having red text, and max upgrade/non-upgradable items having missing UI parts :v:. Shops won’t sell you equippable items that you can’t equip in your current state as well.

The Private Storages Opened stat has been replaced by Boss Kills, because it is utterly useless :blush:. Speaking of useless, large meals on Dawn Island. They can’t be placed there! And if you want to see how useless a player is, don’t fret! Just hover above their name in the player list to make fun of their meta stat build and terrible cooking aptitude :rofl:!

You can also see how much grinding is required to reach the next level of your cooking skill as well, by hovering above it in the Info UI :nod:. It even has a new icon!

Let’s get into some quality of life :raised_hand::frsleepin::ok_hand:. Pot fires, fountains, and campfires have sound now! Golden and Silver bullets do more damage (though this was reduced later)! Camps can be taken down instantly if you want to do that for some reason (Camping is awesome :sunglasses:)!

You know that cool graphics 10 detailing system? Now you can activate it with any level of graphics! Simply turn it on in the settings. But what about lag, you say? Vetex has eradicated all lag issues because he said so. Well, maybe not :fr:. But what might help achieve the same goals is that far away islands are now unloaded! That’s a lot less bricks!

Speaking of high graphics…

Just look at that water :star_struck:!

But let’s move onto our next objective, cargo!

You can buy cargo for 50 galleons from shipwrights! It will be put in your arms, so you can’t hold anything else. You can’t climb anything besides ships (they’re built different :mariomug:), you can’t emote, nor can you select tools, attack, or dodge.

You can place your cargo and pick it back up with R. You’ll drop it if you die or leave. But don’t leave it on any non-ship floor for more than 2 minutes, or it will delete itself from this plane of reality and move onto the next :poggers2:.

If you don’t know how it works, just wait until Arcane Odyssey comes out, obviously. Then the shipwright NPC will tell you in a short tutorial!

And don’t worry, once your cargo is placed on your ship, it’s safe. No one except you and your party will be able to pick it up! Now no one can just jump on board and steal your moolah :money_with_wings:!

However, if your ship sinks, the cargo on board can be picked up by anybody :pensive:! Not my cabbages!

But what’s the point of Cargo, you ask? Well, you can sell it to Shipwrights for galleons and EXP! The further away you bought that cargo box, the the Shipwright rewards you :chart_with_upward_trend:! You can’t sell it from the same Shipwright you bought it from, so don’t even try :dagger:.

Another plus for cargo is increasing these epic stats :eyes::

Here’s some changes and tests. Read through them, if you’d like :nod:.

Before we move on, we’re going to look at a few last Hunger leaks :hungry:!

First, we can see that putting some (presumably) Cursed Mushrooms all together creates the stuff of nightmares. Where do you most likely find these Cursed Mushrooms? Probably Akursius Keep, which is why this next image is so appropriate.

Finally, a good look at one of the Insanity effects! This is insane, right guys? Why is no one laughing :sob:? Well, anyways, by inverting the colors of this image, we can get a good image of Akursius Keep!

Thanks to @Dr.Archipelago for this image! Here’s the topic he did it on:

And finally :drum:

@Selector has uploaded a super epic video of him explaining the cooking system on Youtube. Find the topic here:

There’s a lot to watch. Let’s go over some of the important things that we wouldn’t have known otherwise, and some images!

First of all, a wonderful image of Palo Town.

It’s dubbed as “A peaceful merchant town soothed by the sea breeze.” Seems so :frsleepin::v:!

He runs up and grabs some ingredients.

He runs through Palo Town. There’s a lot to take in, but i’m not taking images of everything :frhigh:. Selectorch proceeds to walk over to a hut with a cooking pot handy…

We can see the backpack as he looks through it. It’s quite full of food!

He then inserts a Yellowfin Sole, a Small Rock Cod, a Red Apple, and a Lemongrass Herb.

He then cooks it into a “Good Seasoned Seafood and Fruit Meal”. Worth 18 galleons, it gives basic recovery and invigorating for 3 minutes and 47 seconds.

Looking quite tasty! He continues to look through his inventory and cooks a few more meals. After this, he pulls out a “Decent Grilled Giant Squid”, which gives Recovery III for a full half hour! It restores an entire 319 hunger… that’s a LOT :hungry:!

Selectorch then places down the meal. We can see the UI :camera_flash:!

So much to see in this video. DEFINITELY take a look yourself, it’s really neat :flushed::ok_hand:.

Next up… pirate ships!

When a ship spawns, it is randomly between levels 20-120. This level will determine its ship type, ship parts, ect. The ship also has a random name :mariomug:! Then, enemies will spawn! The captain of the ship is the whole level of the ship, the co-captain (for ships level 25+) will be half the level of the ship, and the crew’s levels are the ship’s level divided by the amount of crewmates. It’s a lot to take in :flushed:

These enemies will have somewhat generic names, like “Rookie Pirate”. These titles will also appear in their death/kill messages. The letter “a” will appear before their name in these situations.

But the pirates themselves aren’t generic! Pirates above level 20 will have random stat builds, affecting the attacks and strategies they can use! Pirates below level 20, on the other hand, just use a single weapon.

These pirates will also spawn with unique item sets depending on level, including 3 unique chestplates that they are able to drop, each with 16 color variations. So much variation :paintbrush:! 2 more unique chestpieces of the same obtainability were added later, putting the total up to 5 :chart_with_upwards_trend:! Pirates will also drop galleons and XP.

These pirate ships will despawn if they haven’t had any action (taking damage, being in combat) for a full 5 minutes. But once they do, they’re quite the menace :eyes:! In fact, such a menace, they’re literally invulnerable… well, until they’re not anchored anymore.

Once any pirate takes damage from a close by source, they will unanchor from the ship, and start attacking you themselves. Once this happens, cannonfire can damage them :nod:. This is so that your cannons won’t kill them before you can board them and slaughter them mercilessly :blush:.

And finally, a short PvP clip where Mimhere annihilates another player. Or is it an NPC? Who knows.

Even though this combatant dodged one of the tornadoes, the second one won them a free ticket to the exosphere. So long, sucker :joy:! Mimhere seems to enjoy launching people so much, they said this.

So long! It was torture on my fingers writing this :wave:!

Oh, also this. Bye now for real :fr:!

Just kidding. We’re taking a look back at the sea one last time with this new leak :poggers2:!

This is really cool. Look at all those waves! Look at the lighting and all the islands! We also get to hear the music again! Thanks to @Alv for posting this, I would’ve excluded it without him! Here’s a link to his topic:

Bye for real for real now. I’m getting more excited for this game every day :ok_hand:.

:popcorn:

On Topic!

Predictions for WoM/AO

By @tetragon_fortress

Hence the title… what are your predictions? Especially in player count. It’s been a somewhat quiet debate for a while on the Arcane Odyssey forums, counting in many factors, such as WoM’s peak player count and even the peak player count of other games. Honestly, i’d love to see some Youtubers (Not cringe anime game based ones :face_vomiting:) give the game some attention. What do you think :thinking:?

:art:

Arcane Art!

Flat Design : Palo Town

By @Tobi

Tobi continues his Flat Design series with a bright and cheerful look at Palo Town, which we just saw in Select’s video! I really love the way the water moves, the temple in the middle, but most of all the flora-choked town in the center. It’s just… really neat looking :flushed:. There were so many other incredible pieces I almost chose. But did you know that it’s also Tobi’s birthday :eyes:? Happy birthday Tobi :birthday::balloon::confetti_ball:!

:pencil2:

Writing Wizardry!

The Five Worlds Chapter 5: The Execution

By @Shellseawing

Let’s look at the works of one of our newest writers here, Shellseawing. His writing has been of quite incredible quality recently :mariomug:! Hawk, our protagonist, has been captured by a bunch of nerds humans, imprisoned in a dark cell. However, the gods, and a particular scaly monster offer her another scenario… Will she be freed from her prison, or her life :eyes:? Read to find out!

:mag:

The Chart!

Last anchor’s riddle solver was @DeathEagle! Congratulations for being the first to crack it!

The answer was… ”1 Hunger / 13 Seconds”!

You open the chart, and it reads…

24749/6036 %

First to comment or message me with the answer will get a shoutout next anchor!

:link:

Important Links

The Odyssey Feed

Arcane Odyssey Trello

Vetex’s Twitter
https://twitter.com/_vetex?lang=en

Vetex’s Devforum

TGR Info Dump (By 7grandnec)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g-bY1NSipocqpo5yian1F1QKlGivK2bV

The Arcane Lily

Thanks for reading!

Fun Fact: 6/7 Dwarves aren’t happy.

27 Likes

poop fart

1 Like

Even if the leak is only 20 seconds it’s still a lot to take in and look at.

3 Likes

New set sword skill leaked :0 ( 1st time seeing it)

1 Like

Arcane Anchor is back babies!

2 Likes

They included me :smiley:

1 Like

Oh and you forgot to add how it basically commited genocide.

@cool this is true.
@Arrentia. It really is… a lot of images in that video! I probably missed a lot lol :fr:.
@Derp All of the skills are really cool.
@tetragon_fortress It’s Odyssey Feed not Arcane Anchor!!!1!1!111 GRR! :frangry:
@Shellseawing Sorry I can’t include genocide or else I will be purged by the gods (real :pensive:)

5 Likes

Lets go new Odessey Feed, I can sleep happy tonight :relieved:

2 Likes

I have no more likes to give you. :raised_hand: :sob:

2 Likes

understandable.

1 Like

≈ 4.1%

2 Likes

I didn’t think anyone would interpret it as math, but when I do fractions like that it usually refers to a post on the forums lol

ur cringe

This is true. :sob:

thanks cyro you a real one

1 Like

Thank you! :heart::point_left:

I need a hint @Cryonical :sob:

1 Like

Always some good shit when you see “The Odyssey Feed” at the start :hot_face:

2 Likes