⚓ The Odyssey Feed ~ Happy April Fools!

Screenshot 2021-05-21 at 8.03.00 PM

Published by Fang Percy.

Friday, April 1, 2022 (US)

Refer to the table of contents on the right to navigate sections of The Odyssey Feed.

:headphones:

Sound Magic!

Chemical Plant Zone Act 1

By Sonic Mania

Click the link while holding “ctrl” to open the music on a new tab!

:scroll:

The Hook!

Hey everyone! You might notice i’m a tester and a mod now… which i’ll cover later. Right now, I want to write some news. But there’s a pretty big problem, this being the fact it’s been a few months since i’ve actually written anything :sleeper:. To say the least, this is a major problem.

Because of the fact I value my sanity (At least somewhat :fr:) and that I don’t want to hit the word limit, this is going to just be skimming over things, and i’ll probably miss a lot. I won’t be analyzing stuff as much, and will skip over smaller things I usually would talk about. After this though, the quality should get better since I don’t have a ton to write. Enjoy!

STARTING AT VERSION 1.8.73

First of all, music for naval combat has been added :headphones:. On its first iteration, it was somewhat odd as it only played certain parts of the theme based on how difficult the pirates you were fighting were :thinking:. However, this later changed, and the whole song will play, and only when you’re on the steering wheel of your ship. Needless to say, this makes things much nicer. Some AI changes have also been done :robot:!

“?” and “!” marks will also appear above pirate ships, serving the same purpose they do for NPCs :nod:. There’s also an icon above a pirate ship to label them as pirates. Just in case the boat hurtling towards you, cannons a blazin’, was not identified as an enemy :joy::+1:.

Pirate and player ships heal by 20% health when defeating another ship, marked by a notification stating that you salvaged the parts of your foe’s vessel. But only if you have a crew equipped, who seem to be master architects and repairmen :hammer:!

Here’s some changes to reputation and statistics :frhigh::

Not only that, but there’s a use to sinking them now!

4-10 treasure chests can spawn, based on how powerful your enemies were :moneybag:. Also they’re non destructible now, which definitely makes a lot of things easier :+1:. Obliterating your hard-earned booty is no more :poggers2:!

Wind particles have been improved, and parrying effects scale with your level so that you can see them :boom:. It wouldn’t be visible against those enormous endgame projectiles!

Here’s a nice change :nod:

Not only that, but there’s a quest button in the menu now. It replaces the shipyard button, which has fled out of the menu from it’s previous place in the inventory :dash:. We do a little rearranging! Even better…

LFG. Speaking of LFG, Inferno remade every magic icon. I should really look through them all, but i’m too lazy :scream:!

Here’s a few changes to our item-improving friends:

Pirates will also stop their ship and attack you if you board their ship before it’s been sank. I mean, definitely makes sense to me. :face_with_monocle:.

Here’s a video Vetex posted on twitter and discord showing off some basic ship combat :flushed:! We can definitely see a lot here!

Getting ready for a load of ship equipment, the sails slot has been replaced with sail material and sail pattern :paintbrush:! We’re customizing, my dudes! Shipwrights stock double the amount of cannonballs now, and cannonballs are worth less. Double the destruction :mariomug:!

And now… :drum:

1-3 Bronze Sealed Chests spawn on ships after their crew is defeated and their ship is sunk :eyes:! Your ship needs to deal 70% of the damage for sealed chests to spawn. Bronze Sealed chests, named after the sea they’re in, are a major source of many potent ship items, cannonballs, and even some surprises along the way.

Here’s a few things first, though:

Besides the things we previously stated, Bronze Sealed chests will always give 30-60 galleons, 10-30 light, normal, or heavy cannonballs, and even 365 EXP. One for each day in a year :ok_hand:! AO themed calendar when?

Here’s a picture of a boat loaded with these chests:

That’s a lot. And what are those cannons? You’ll have to wait to find out :eyes:!

Now;

The first hulls from sealed chests are here, which are the wooden trim, rugged trim, and wooden framing, all with different stats and specialties :sunglasses:! These are all obtained and equippable at level 30, and will change the look of your ship and its steering wheel even. They can be colored separately from the ship too :flushed::paintbrush:! Most importantly, of course, are the stats they give, making your ship stronger.

That’s not all, either!

If you thought the specialization was low, look again. Now, you can enchant your hulls, to dive into something even further, and make your ship more powerful than ever before :muscle:! And look at all those new hulls… 83 we haven’t even seen yet!

Of course, you’re gonna have to work just a bit harder to acquire these. When first obtained they come in blueprint form, which can’t be equipped, are worth 80% less, and can’t be enchanted.

You’ll always obtain one blueprint per sealed chest, whether it be a hull or not. Sometimes, this blueprint can be replaced by something, which we’ll look at later.

How do we build these blueprints, we ask? Vetex has added the wood, stone, and metal ite- just kidding! Builder NPCs will be at every town island, besides Cirrus, because that doesn’t make sense :thinking:. They will build your blueprints into the respective item in exchange for a hefty quantity of Galleons :moneybag:!

Now, take a look at some sail materials :eyes:.

Gotta go fast! We can also focus our stats more than ever before. These sail materials can also be obtained by sealed chests! They can be enchanted, similarly to hulls.

Let’s continue with our ship part frenzy! Here’s an exciting version to look at:

First of all, if you don’t fight fire with fire, you’ll only do 50% of your damage! Of course, that fire is naval combat :fire:! Recently, this has been changed to you dealing only 25% of your normal damage.

And we have sail patterns now, for some insane customization. You’ll get a sail pattern from every sealed chest you open, alongside other things. There are many different types of sail patterns, and each come in a whopping 21 color variations each… the combos are gonna be insane :poggers2:! And there are just so many to choose from…

Oh my goodness gracious :flushed:. Let’s keep going!

Five new lantern types have been added… Skull, Candles, Aged Candles, Braziers, and Globe Lanterns! Lit up my day :candle:!

We also have Ravenna, Redwake, and Sameria sails. Represent :sunglasses:! These are sold by their respective shipwrights. Ravenna sails at Frostmill, Redwake at, well… Redwake, and Sameria also at Redwake. Interesting!

And now, the first ram has been added, the Reinforced Ram :eyes:!

Not only do you want a ram with some good power, you want to be going fast to get the maximum damage from your ram :mariomug:. Both speed and power play a role in the success of your melee.

And with this speed, ramming speed is here to help. Face another ship and press R to suddenly be going very fast… 1.5 times as fast in fact, at the cost of 50% of your turning speed. You’re going to want to use this in many situations in which you use your ram for that big damage :boom:. Lasts for ten seconds… hurry up :clock:!

However, it does come at a cost, it damages your ship as well. Fortunately, Ram Defense is at your rescue, which will subtract itself from the damage that your ship takes when ramming an enemy :v:.

Here’s some visual changes :eye:.

And here’s a bunch of ram types, each with different stats!

Yess :frhigh:! A quite magic ram coming soon!

These rams, while neat by themselves can also be enchanted. Hard increases the ship’s durability by 100 and ram defense by 300, while strong increases the ram’s strength by 300. Nimble increases the ramming speed by 20%!

Rams will also originate in a blueprint form, so you’ll have to consult your local builder for those as well! Wait… what’s the ram on that ship I see in the distance? Could it be…?

Enter the Arcanium Ram :poggers2:! When obtained as a blueprint, it will attune to your first magic. If you have several magics, it’ll attune to one of those. No magic? It’ll be a completely random magic! You’ll actually be able to get these in the game currently since it’s a level 90 item. Of course, the currently planned level cap for AO will be 120 :ok_hand:

It adds magic storage, a bar under your ship HP in the UI. When you ram, it’ll run out of energy and start your ram. This bar fills up over time as your ram soaks up energy from the sea :battery:! If you ram without this bar full, it won’t use it’s magic effects :frpensive:.

Not only this, it’ll apply both the respective status effects to ships that fall victim to it, and it has sick effects that correlate with the magic it’s attuned with! The magic’s stats even connect with the ram’s stats… so maybe a light ram would have a higher ramming speed multiplier :light_magic_var1:!

Do note though that not all magic statuses apply to ships, such as sandy and blinded :nod:.

Customize your ship… NOW!!! :lightning_magic_var1:

You can now decorate the front of your ship with one of these figurines! It’ll randomly either be a stone or metal variation :thinking:. Don’t worry though, you don’t have to grind for colors; they can be painted!

And watch as cannons suddenly take the spotlight again:

WOO BOY! Not only do we have more normal cannons, we have the arcanium variants as well! They work like you think they would. Unfortunately, no synergizing the magics of your ram and cannons together. That probably won’t happen any time soon for good reasons :frpensive:.

What is going to happen soon is you looking at this image!

And all of these future level cap cannons are pretty exciting. It’ll be less time of him adding cannons and more of some super exciting stuff later :eyes:! Let’s continue.

Hehehehhehehheheheheheheh. Yessss. Give them to me. I will be unstoppable. Nobody can defeat me now. You can use these different types of cannonballs to specialize in the situation you’re in. Up close? Need to finish off? Have bad aim? There’s something for everyone!

Here’s a gif that could explain the potency of these cannonballs:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/408797150340841482/952743082657452042/blasted_beans.gif

Press f to pay respects for @beans, the unfortunate victim of these exploding cannonballs :headstone: … he fell apart like a lego character, which I would especially know since i’m the guy in the straw hat who stood there while it happened :fr:.

Here’s something everyone wanted for a very, very long time.

Guaranteed enchants! LFG :poggers2:! There’s a 1/10 you won’t get a blueprint, and instead one of these scrolls with a random enchant on it. You can use this scroll to apply said enchant to any viable items in your inventory that can have such an enchant :flushed:.

Just click it in your inventory, and it’ll open up a selection of items that such an enchantment is applicable to. The enchantment scroll will then disappear.

Instead of always having to roll and regain items at the alchemist, we might have a stockpile of these in wait for such a situation! It’s really nice to have, and doesn’t even feel game-breaking :+1:.

During one of my adventures in the test realm, from just a small batch of sealed chests, not only did I get arcanium cannons and a ram, I got two strong enchantment scrolls… in a row :scream:. It was so perfect, I just had to share it here. RIGGED?!?1?!

Here’s some enchantment changes I won’t bother to try explaining :fr::

Here’s a few shark optimizations :shark:.

Health regeneration only happens half as fast while you’re in combat, now. This has been stated by several testers to highly buff DoT, or damage over time status effects :thinking:. Makes sense to me!

NPCs ships will also heal 20% of their health; this happens around every 70 seconds and is audible due to a hammering sound. Two can play at that game :smiling_imp:!

Hunger drains slower too :hungry:. It goes down 1 every 25 seconds, which means it takes 42 minutes to fully drain. You’ll also start with a basic blast spell, and getting to the requirement of a new spell will create such with the basic settings if a slot is open :nod:. Quite strange, but might be helpful.

Take a look at this, though.

Version 1.9 at last :ok_hand:! Let’s look through it.

First of all, cannonballs could kill NPC pirates very fast and this meant some easy looting. This has been fixed in probably the easiest way possible. Even scarier, NPC ships, based on their tier, will spawn with random ship equipment. That means that, yes, you can find a pirate ship with arcanium cannons. Their ship parts can even be enchanted :sleeper:!

This heavily levels out the playing field, since their ship might be just as powerful, if not more powerful, as yours. RUN :scream:!

What makes it cooler is that ships will have titles based on the hull armor they have. Unfortunately, us normal level-capped players can’t reach fortified quite yet, while pirates can. Unfair :mouth_with_symbols:! The NPCs can even ram using their ship now, which includes using ramming speed. Just a wee bit scary :flushed:.

We’re getting somewhat close now. Let’s take a peek at the rough seas :ocean:. These are ocean anomalies that can spawn over deep seas and under storms.

The rough seas are vicious, and if your ship’s stability stat isn’t higher than their intensity, they’ll deal damage over time to you, even having a special message if they manage to devour you :hungry:. They’re quite loud as well!

Your crew and co-captain seem to hate rough seas about as much as you do, and they’ll complain or warn you about it respectively. More apt co-captains will even tell you if your ship is stable enough to brave the rough seas you’re entering.

Unfortunately, those redwake warriors might not be as good now :fr:, as they only grant your ship 5 stability instead of 10. Be careful when treading rough seas!

Last up, we have both a new island (:eyes:) and a new type of mushroom… Giant Greencaps! These are rare mushrooms which allow two new dishes to be made. Giant Mushroom Stew, and Giant Fruit and Mushroom Meal :drooling_face: Delicious!

Unfortunately, not all food is so great…

Truly an unfortunate tale. This is so sad, guys :frpensive:. Anyways, here’s the original post by @Noober;

Not only that, but we have another new island, built by VersionZiila! Congrats to them :+1:! On this island lives an NPC, who can sell a new item, the Bronze Hammer :poggers2:! It repairs ships twice as fast at twice the cost, so repairing a ship by any certain amount of HP with both hammers will take the same price, but the bronze hammer will do it faster :zap:.

In one of the new islands, it’s also been shown that there’s an underwater maze, and that it was even previously impossible to do damageless. It’s doable now, though :nod:!

Even more importantly, grapes :grapes: have been added! Deeee-lish!

Now, let’s take a peek at some pretty important changes to the “Adjustments” category in the trello :eyes:.

That’s a LOT. And while I unfortunately will not be covering all this in detail, I invite you to take a look around :mariomug: Most notably here is the new organization, but more than that the brand new things here :poggers2:. New sea monsters! And NPCs can follow the advice of “Just parry and dodge”! Auroras! Messages in a bottle… and unenchanting! Egad! Wowza! Gawk! Eureka! Gasp!

Sorry for being so lazy with writing this, but i’m quite close and would love to finish this up.

Now… before you go. We have some ship pictures for you :ok_hand:!

And this last one was taken by me. Can’t believe I got it!

Thank you so much for reading! I did a lot of this anchor in just a few hours, so do please expect mistakes :fr:. Unfortunately, i’ll also be going offline for a few hours, and won’t be online at all for a whole week starting this Saturday. Adios :wave:!

:popcorn:

On Topic!

What do you Guys Think About the New Tester Clip?

By @Cosmos

If you guys didn’t know, a new leak with Inferno showcasing crystal and metal magic released :poggers2:! I’m writing this just about to release and didn’t have time to include it in the news section unfortunately, it’s quite long as well. Both of the magics look super good, and I suggest all of you to check it out :nod:! There’s also a poll there asking for your thoughts, so be sure to do that as well.

:art:

Arcane Art!

Rowboat best boat

By @TheBlueMage

We’re sailing the War Seas! But who needs to buy anything better when a rowboat is all you need :thinking:? We see a still image of our gregarious explorers as they take on the most dangerous of foes with the most basic of vessels. Love the art style :heart:!

:pencil2:

Writing Wizardry!

The Hollow |₪| Chapter 1 |₪| “Dawn Island”

By @Dr.Archipelago

Let’s get some new writers in here! Archipelago starts a new series called The Hollow. Do note that English is not Archipelago’s first language while you read :nod:. Our protagonist sails to Dawn Island and sets up camp there, while storm clouds approach. What dangers will they find :eyes:? Read to find out.

:mag:

The Chart!

Last anchor’s riddle solver was @Broly! Congratulations for being the first to crack it!

The answer was… ”20%”!

You open the chart, and it reads…

#tl4

First to comment or message me with the answer will get a shoutout next anchor!

:link:

Important Links

The Odyssey Feed

Arcane Odyssey Trello

Vetex’s Twitter

https://twitter.com/_vetex?lang=en

Vetex’s Devforum

TGR Info Dump (By 7grandnec)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g-bY1NSipocqpo5yian1F1QKlGivK2bV

The Arcane Lily

Thanks for reading!

Odyssey Feed will never have another anchor! Just kidding, April Fool’s!

31 Likes

why have i only just realized that sealed chests on boats feels way too much like sea of thieves

1 Like

holy shit holy fuck holy shuit its backs hhoplf osnjghtukiw4n rasdgq wery

3 Likes

Now that I have infinite likes, I can appreciate everyone who comes here and enjoys my stuff (I will not let you like farm me tho :frangry:)

8 Likes

dear god.
he’s bypassing the like count.
return to humanity cyro please.

2 Likes

:smiley:

1 Like

(insert video of the emoji thing screaming and turning into ash)

2 Likes

5 Likes

Don’t ruin it!1 :rage:

1 Like

Yeah, sadly metal magic is a bit too OP it seemed, but eh.

1 Like

i’m back from my ban.

2 Likes

Rest in pieces :salute: :sob:

1 Like

bro why is my art here :flushed: I crapped it out after not doing digital art for around 2 weeks because my tablet was having connection issues.

1 Like

Glad to know somebody else thinks that sonic ost is awesome

1 Like

You can search "@ Cryonical (name of any sonic mania ost here) and a ToF issue will pop up no cap

1 Like

After the AfroSenju incident it seems that most of Twitter likes Sonic music

2 Likes

lesgoooo

1 Like

also is it me or is this AO feed significantly larger than others?

1 Like

Indeed

1 Like

we know the name of the island already, its Thorin’s Refuge

1 Like