⚓ The Odyssey Feed ~ New Video, Fighting Styles, and Allies!

Explore More Anchors:

wheel

Created by Cryonical, edited by DocTheWarBird!

Tuesday, August 30, 2022 (US)

:headphones:

Sound Magic!

Memory Lane

Composed by Tobu

:scroll:

The Hook!

Hey there, this is Cryonical :wave:! Welcome back to another anchor of The Odyssey Feed! We’ve certainly got a whole lot of exciting things to cover today. So, without delay, let’s…

This is quite a monstrous version, so prepare for some equally monstrous walls of text :mariomug:. The very first thing v1.9.141 presents is some new information about fighting style animations! More specifically, the idle and equip animations for Basic Combat. Seems like we’ll be getting different animations for each style :boom:! Can’t wait to possibly see some of these in future leaks.

We also have some stats to accompany the new Fighting Style system :thinking:. These are Skills Used, Skills Created, Skills Forgotten, Skills Edited, Average uses Per Skill Created, and finally Likeliness to Edit a Created Skill. These are all quite interesting :nod:, especially the last few which seem to predict things :eye:.

Here’s a change to weapon grab skills: They can now be used underwater but with reduced range. Previously, the ability to use grabs underwater was removed completely due to them being used to easily get out of the water. However, it seems this has been somewhat reverted :sunglasses:. Further on, slower grab attacks have been changed to last longer/have more reach in order to make them easier to hit :ok_hand:!

Next, shipwrights can no longer repair ships that are very far away :mag:. Wonder why this was implemented, but an intriguing change.

Now, let’s review a rework to magic leap spells :poggers2:! Have you ever looked at the strength slider of a leap spell in world of magic and realized how incredible pointless it is to have it below 100%? That changes today :mariomug:! Not only does the angle that you set strengthen the higher the strength is, but that slider has also been renamed to “Uses.” You can see where this is going.

The lower you set the slider, the more magic jumps you can do in midair, going all the way up to 5 :chart_with_upwards_trend:. We don’t know the exact formula, though. With this new change, you can choose bursts of movement over easy to control air stalling, both of which can be very useful in many combat situations :punch:. The last change to leaps is that the head jerking back while doing it has been removed.

Here’s some adjustments to multi-blasts. 2 and 3 blasts have their size increased by 35%, and their damage increased by 15%. Perhaps such a low number wasn’t viable, but it might be now :eyes:!

Next, we have changes to aura spells. The multiplier for the stats it gives are now affected by intensity, which is really neat :pray:! Might give intensity some more light… I still myself am not sure exactly what it does lol :fr:. Additionally, the affinities of certain magics to resistance spells (more health) have been changed. If you didn’t know, each magic will be better at boosting some stats with aura spells than others :nod:.

Metal: 1.8x → 1.6x

Earth: 1.6x → 1.3x

Crystal: 1.5x → 1.25x

Wood: 1.4x → 1.2x

Ice: 1.3x → 1.2x

It definitely does seem some magics with a good affinity for resistance have gotten a great nerf in that category. More balancing is always good :v:! On top of this, in general the base boost given from resistance auras has been nerfed from 30% to 25% :chart_with_downwards_trend:.

Next, some changes to beams. Their cooldown has been doubled to 1 second, which is a nice change as they could be used to easily air stall :face_in_clouds:. The startup time has been increased to 0.45, and the endlag time was decreased to 0.25 :thinking:. The area of effect of double beams has received a nerf as well, being reduced by 25%.

Now here’s a few changes to magic just in general :fire:! Wind’s size affinity has been increased from 1.05x to 1.2x, which is pretty significant :face_with_monocle:. Makes sense to me! To compensate, it’s damage affinity has been nerfed from 0.925x to 0.875x. I’m blown away :frhigh:! Moving onto wood, which has also received a buff; it applies bleeding when doing only 5% of an opponent’s health instead of 30%, which is a nice boost to an otherwise pretty mediocre magic pvp-wise :v:.

Remember the Forest of Cernunno boss being able to block, parry, and dodge along with that one other NPC :shield:? Vetex has finally remembered the existence of that feature and implemented it into the newest boss, General Argos of Ravenna :eyes:. It’ll make him more frightening for sure.

Here’s our last few changes. First, music is now toned down and slowed during night instead of just being lessened in volume. It’s actually really nice to hear the music in such a way during night :frsleepin::ok_hand:. I do find the transition when night turns to day and vice versa quite odd, but maybe that’s just me :mariomug:. There’s also now a confirmation to sending trades, which is good as well.

Finally, we’re moving onto the next version:

First, wood magic has had a small nerf; the damage boost from bleed is no longer applicable. I’m fairly sure this was in the last version but was removed :boom:, and since it’s gotten a better percent of damage to make the opponent bleed, it’s still coming out from these few patch notes better than ever :sparkles:.

Next, we have some more progress on fighting styles :poggers2:! The animation for Basic Combat M1s has been finished! We’ll have to wait just a bit to see some functionality, though :nod:. Shifting over to weapons, Piercing Combo has also been renamed to Piercing Strikes, which I think sounds a bit better :+1:.

And it’s been quite a while since a major title screen improvement… as you might be able to guess, that changes today :mariomug:! Not only has some of its UI been improved, but a map has been added to the background, replacing the previous empty ocean :ocean:. A major contribution to the overall vibe! You can see a bit of it in the “START” image earlier :point_up:.

A notable new version is coming up :drum:

First, a change to health per level: It’s been increased from 6 to 8! This, overall, makes your total amount of health higher and could make pvp a bit more exciting and not be over in a flash :zap:. A 2 hp per level increase is actually pretty significant, so it’ll affect quite a lot, hopefully all positively :ok_hand:!

Now for some more fighting style progress :punch:! They do damage now. Additionally, similar to weapons, when holding a fighting style, your character will be angled to face away from the camera. I’m unsure about this feature for both weapons and fighting since it’s basically just shift lock 2, though I’m sure there’s a reason for it :v:.

Here’s some changes to ships! Ships will now gently rock back and forth in the water, the intensity of this increasing in whirlpools and rough seas. This is super cool :cold_face:. On top of this, some types of sails have motion, and sail unfurling has a better speed. All these changes will definitely help the look of sailing on the open sea!

Last up, the Ketch has received a nerf, it’s stability being reduced. It’s now 50 from it’s previous 60 :chart_with_downwards_trend:.

First for this version, jailed players are no longer displayed on the “Wanted” board for the server, so you won’t be able to bounty hunt them. That’s pretty good :+1:, since a jailed player is definitely at a disadvantage. Pretty sure there have been other similar changes working towards this goal :white_flag:.

Next, we have even more implementation of NPCs being able to block and parry :shield:! Depending on how high their level in, this feature can apply to randomized enemies! Be careful of some more powerful pirates :warning:.

Now, a super amazing feature; random spawning NPCs ranging from level 20-120 with a (random?) bounty (We’re not sure what the range is for their bounty) and a randomized list of crimes/feats that appears on the bounty board :scroll:! This allows them to be bounty hunted just like players with bounty :moneybag:. They will spawn on random preset places on islands, not on ships like many other randomly generated opponents.

When you successfully bounty hunt them, you will only get half the renown you would normally get from how much their bounty is :chart_with_downwards_trend:. Additionally, similarly how dying to a player you’re hunting reduces your renown, the same thing will happen when you die to an NPC you’re hunting, but the amount will be halved. As far as we can tell, the galleon gain from their bounty amount doesn’t differ from players. Their stat builds, appearances, other features, and the good rep equivalent will be showcased later :muscle:.

It’s clear that bounty hunting players is the best way to gain both renown and galleons. However, not everyone wants to pvp or is good at it, so this is a great alternative that fits well into the game :pray:! Moving on to version 1.9.145!

Starting off, Attack Size and Attack Speed will now affect combat and weapon m1s :zap:. Not exactly sure why this wasn’t the case before, but it exists now :nod:! Speaking of combat m1s, those for Basic Combat have now been given visual effects for hitting something, improved animation, and sound effects :boom:.

Next, being arrested by the Grand Navy through being bounty hunted will display so in your death message in the chat :headstone:. A good change! I wonder what it means when it says “arrested due to failed hunt” though. Perhaps failing to assassinate a good rep player will land you in jail :thinking:?

Now, let’s return to bounty NPCs. The XP you gain from killing an NPC will be multiplied by x1.5 if you were hunting the bounty of that NPC, so it’s a decent bonus :mariomug:. And did you wonder what happened to the NPC after you bounty hunted them? Well, since they have a bounty, just like players they’ll wind up in jail, and after their time is up they would be released in a random place in the world with their level, skills, and bounty increased :punch:.

And just like players as well, they can be broken out of their handcuffs, which affects your renown in the same way as breaking a player out does :thinking:. If you do this, they’ll actually ally with you. The NPC won’t attack you and you won’t be able to damage them. A bit more on this later :hourglass:.

We’ve got some wonderful progress here on Basic Combat M1s! They’ve been given more sounds, and better clash audio and visuals! Additionally, their visuals will scale with how apt you are in strength (I’m assuming :mag:). Something notable is that they now scale less with power, which is good. You could very much do 200 damage with a single punch and gank someone insanely fast :sleeper:.

However, there’s a good side: Like magic, m1s will afflict bleeding if they do more than 30% of your opponent’s health :punch:!

Now, back to NPCs :nod:! They can now use aura spells and can spawn in with strength builds (and will use punches), both of which could have been accessible by them but were missing. The strength builds not being present before is understandable though, as you couldn’t really use strength in any way besides escaping whirlpools :cyclone:.

Huntable NPCs will now also progress their skills properly when they level up due to being released from jail. Vetex gives us an interesting example, that being them turning level 110 and unlocking a second magic :thinking:. Perhaps this is just an NPC thing, or maybe we’ll have our own awakening around that point. I’m sure there’s an answer somewhere :hungry:!

Additionally, these NPCs now have execution mechanics :headstone:. Unlike players, which are executed after their jail time if they have over 50k bounty, when an NPC over level 100 is arrested, they will be executed in the exact same fashion as if a player is being executed. Similarly to players, an NPC can be saved from an execution :angel:!

Here’s some neat destruction related changes. First, certain effects from solid magic explosions can be destroyed with attacks :boom:. For example, an icicle from an ice pillar explosion could be destroyed. However, this doesn’t affect the hitbox or damage in any way, it’s just visual :eye:. Additionally, dust clouds from terrain destruction can be cleared with attacks :dash:.

Let’s move onto even more information about these Huntable NPCs!

First, we can see that their appearance variety is incredible :cold_face:, and that they have several different themes based off of the stat build they have. They’re Wealthy, Knight, Archer, Mage, Bounty Hunter, Pirate, Sailor, Fighter, and Samurai. It’s gonna be sick to see the NPCs lookin’ so fine :ok_hand:. To match this, there’s much more variety in what weapons they can use as well.

There’s now a selection of messages for when they agro and another for when you free them from prison and become your ally :speaking_head:! I wonder what some of them could be… guessing we’ll see some at a later date.

And now we have some new progress on the Fighting Style UI! Just like the magic UI, you can see your skill slots and skill type. As a parallel to magic, there are 6 basic skills and 8 skill slots. Also like magic, it’s been confirmed there will be rare, lost, and ancient skills, most likely in the form of scrolls :scroll:. Additionally, it’s been confirmed there will be at least 5 findable skills and spells when Arcane Odyssey releases, so there’s going to be variety, even at the start :poggers2:!

Last version for today:

The first fighting style skill is in development, and can be created and edited :mariomug:. I wonder what it is…

Now for some final info today on huntable NPCs. Hero NPCs, that spawn in the same way as Wanted Criminal NPCs now exist. Like players with fame, they can be hunted from Sponsors, and i’m pretty sure many of the things that apply to their nefarious counterparts apply to these as well. These NPCs will definitely make bounty hunting and island exploration much more interesting :brain:!

Now that the trello is done for today, let’s look over some images, some information from Vetex himself on discord, and a video :camera:!

First off, some images posted by Noble in general chat :pray::

This is definitely a very… interesting set of images. The first is most interesting, being a display of Noble’s shadow, projected on the wooden floor from the fireplace. We also get some water visuals, and a nice image of a fish hanging from a rack with the ocean and a merchant (I think :fr:) sailboat in the background :sailboat:.

Next, let’s overview some information from Vetex on discord:

This is a super cool feature. Essentially, after bullying a certain NPC enough, they would become your rival :crossed_swords:. That means they’ll be in any server you’re on, would continue to grow more powerful, and will be your rival for the rest of the game! This feels like an amazing change :sparkles:, can’t wait to find out what the rival of my 2nd file is :mariomug:.

Essentially, strength weapons, like most other weapons, will be infusable with arcanium :muscle:. Arcanium scales with both weapons and magic, so it’s been confirmed that an Arcanium strength weapon would scale off every stat besides vitality! Goodness gracious :flushed:! That’s pretty good for savants, I’d say.

Here’s some confirmation that fighting style skills will work mostly the same as magic spells do :+1:. They will be the same essentially between every fighting style (Just like a poison blast is similar to a shadow blast), but of course will have different visuals. For example, a beam-like skill for normal combat would have a different appearance than that of a thermo fist one :eyes:. However, we don’t know if they will have different stats depending on the fighting style, like how some magics are faster and more powerful. I’m assuming so :nod:.

Lastly, we have a brand new and amazing video from @Selector:

There’s so much content and new content in here that I won’t bother covering it in it’s entirety. However, I did notice a lot of people criticizing how easily the weapon user (Inferno) seemed to defeat the light user (Selectorch). However, it’s easily explained by Vetex.

Additionally, for those complaining about visuals, this is very early level pvp, and they will scale to look better in the future :chart_with_upwards_trend:. Inferno is also pretty dang good with weapons, and they have a great build which contains a good amount of attack speed :zap:.

We also have the full image which was included in the thumbnail.

This is probably the coldest Arcane Odyssey image I’ve seen, which is Inferno using the Rapier skill “Shining Cycle” with a foggy night time background :v:. I only just noticed the top of the ship in the background :frcryin:!

That’s about it for this anchor of The Odyssey Feed. Hope you enjoyed my giant walls of text :wave:!

:popcorn:

On Topic!

Post some Sea monster ideas here

Posted by @CrimsonCreate

Sharks and sea monsters are one of the neatest aspects in Arcane Odyssey :shark:. As you sail the seas, you need to beware of dangerous enemies that lurk deep below. And there’s a whole lot of possibilities for those ocean terrors, from giant squids, eldritch monsters and more. What can you think of, and how will it work :mag:? Make sure to ignore the 50 comment “retextured shark” slander :fr:.

:art:

Arcane Art!

Mini theos also something

Created by @Shunellol

In quite a heartwarming take on the powerful and tragic character that is Theos, the War Phoenix, Durza’s nemesis has been shrunk down to quite the small size wearing possibly the most miserable face and pose you’ve ever seen :frcryin:. The simplicity but amazing lines and shading here make it great. And at almost 1000 years old, it makes sense his head is that big :brain:

:pencil2:

Writing Wizardry!

Mimhere Island

Written by @Robotstics

This topic is the epitome, climax, ultimatum, prime, and peak of all writing :fire::fire::fire:. Geno Arcturus gets ready for his execution… but everyone observing can tell something is off :thinking:. He doesn’t exactly seem upset. And as he’s lead up to the platform where he will meet his doom, he utters the worlds out to the world that would start a new era: “Mimhere island… IS REAL!!!”

:mag:

The Chart!

Last anchor’s riddle solver was @Divanochi! Congratulations for being the first to crack it!

The answer was… ”15,701”!

You open the chart, and it reads…

Redwake Crew Vendor

First to comment or message me with the answer will get a shoutout next anchor!

:link:

Important Links

The Odyssey Feed Topic

The Odyssey Feed Discord Server

The Odyssey Feed Master Document

Arcane Odyssey Trello

The Arcane Lily

Thanks for reading!

The great wall of text.

17 Likes

Yeah it back.

1 Like

W feed as always :100:

2 Likes

epic

1 Like

MIMHERE ISLAND…

IS REAL!

2 Likes

Epic feed as always :+1:

also

:smiley:

2 Likes

I just had to ask for a new anchor and …

1 Like

Put it off 'til today, so I was writing for hours during school :frcryin:. Wanted to finish it before I went home so I could do other things.

1 Like

ulf?

2 Likes

There we are :clap:.

1 Like

that one was tough, had to go to flare’s media doc for it

1 Like

rival mechanic :100::100::100:

1 Like

why not mine :angre:

1 Like

flare’s is the one linked in the arcane lily

1 Like

If you share one more leak I’ll

1 Like

@Cryonical put mine in!1!!1!1!1

1 Like

How to lose all of your mana 101

1 Like

That makes 2 of us

Can’t wait for this, I already know what I want my rival to be (it’ll take a hell of a lot of RNG though)

Common Divanochi W

2 Likes

alright its official if im making project blue rock then cryonical is the owner of sanborn city news

2 Likes

(or the sanborn times)

(soo original)

1 Like