⚓ The Odyssey Feed ~ Crash & Smash!

Navigator
Written by Cryonical. Edited by DocTheWarBird!
Tuesday, September 6, 2022 (US)
:headphones:

Sound Magic!

Contemplation in Snow
Composed by Yu-Peng Chen

:newspaper_roll:

The Hook!

Hey, this is Cryonical :wave:. Welcome back to another anchor of The Odyssey Feed! Once again I’m late for the schedule, so you’re going to be sitting through quite the walls of text :sleeper:. We do have a lot more images this time, though. Brace yourself!

This is an absolutely massive version, and outlines some of the functionality of the Rival system we did and didn’t know. Going through all this so far after it’s revealed and all is confusing, so forgive me if I mess some stuff up :pray:! Here’s a first look at some criminal NPCs on the bounty board.

The criminal NPCs that spawn in the world will be arrested after they die, no matter if you hunt them or not. Meanwhile, hero NPCs will simply be defeated :headstone:. After the Criminal is released from jail, they will level up, which will obviously cause them to become stronger. However, after they reach level 100, after being defeated they will be executed after their jail time. If not saved, the criminal NPC will be deleted permanently and will not respawn, so be careful :thinking:!

Successfully defeating the same Criminal NPC 3 times in a row will cause them to become your rival :punch:. When this happens, the data of the NPC such as their name, appearance, build, level, skills, spells, and weapons will all be saved to your file data. They will also disappear and are no longer able to be jailed or executed. There is no current way to reset your rival, but there will be soon :eyes:. One NPC can also be the rival of several players.

In each server, a random player’s rival will be chosen to spawn, and once that player leaves, the rival of a different player in that server will spawn. When this happens, the chat will announce “Rumors of (Rival Name) have begun circling…” Defeating your rival will not only level them up by around 25 levels up to level 120 for the Bronze Sea :chart_with_upwards_trend:, but you will also earn a treasure chart that can be Rare, Exotic, or Legendary :chart:.

Additionally, it will show a message saying you defeated them to the whole server, and the other way around if they defeat you :nod:. Defeating your rival and getting noticed by them will also have special dialogue lines different than normal Criminal NPCs, During battle with your rival, it will play the Battle Theme (High) music :headphones:, which definitely adds some tension to the fight. See below Vetex fighting his rival, starting off with an interesting move we’ll cover a bit later.

There’s also now an Additional Information tab under wanted posters. When notoriety is added, it will show their last known location, but it currently displays if an NPC is your rival. You can see it here :arrow_down:. The message for a rival spawning is also visible in the top left.

Here’s a new video by Selectorch, once again :poggers2:! It explains the rival system in much better depth and accuracy (probably :frcryin:) than I have here! After watching, we’ll move onto the next version, 1.9.150!

First, something we’ve already known from that first version: Huntable NPCs cannot level over 120 in the Bronze Sea :muscle:. In future seas however, they’ll be able to continue their progress! This gives us yet another bit of confirmation that the Bronze Sea’s story will go all the way up to that level :mag:. Additionally, there’s now notifications when defeating a Criminal NPC that state how far away you are to making them your rival :crossed_swords:.

And to add some variety, if a huntable NPC has 3 weapons, their third will be randomized every time they spawn for some variety :die:!

Now, here’s a look at the first Fighting Styles skill: Crash! You rush towards the target (Presumably where your mouse is pointing) and strike it with a powerful blow, making an area of effect :boom:. We’ll see more details on it later in the next few versions. Mega hype stuff :ok_hand:!

This version will be all about Crash, so let’s review some information. First, we can see that it has knockback, and the direction you are knocked in, along with some spell synonyms, will be based on the animation you choose. For example, an uppercut would send them flying upwards and would have uppercut as a possible synonym. Don’t want punches to be named “Kick” :skull:!

This is matched with some changes to Knockback in general… it’s dependent on the level of the user who attacked you versus your level, capping out at the maximum of 2x :dash:. The example given is attacking someone double your level would only knock them back half as much.

A small but significant patch :+1:. Here’s a biggie: A new island is being worked on :poggers2:! It’s always nice to see a new part of the world to explore. Hope we get an image of it some time, though I could see it totally going hidden until release :mariomug:.

We also have some balancing for Crash. NPCs can now use it, its knockback has been reduced by half, its endlag has been reduced and its animations have been improved. Speaking of customization, though, many more synonyms have been added for every different magic, which is really cool :cold_face:. Moving on, after this image :arrow_down:!

Several individuals, including Beans, show up for Mimhere’s execution. Perhaps if Mimhere had stayed alive for just a second longer, we could have known the location of Mimhere Island :frhigh:. We’ll never know now, but what we do know is that it’s definitely customary to show up to executions in suits :levitate:.

First, we’ve got a few more adjustments for the Crash fighting style skill. Right Hook and Left Hook animations for Crash will have sideways knockback, presumably left for right hook and right for left hook :sunglasses:. Can’t wait to punch someone into a wall! However, if you don’t want to do that, there’s now a new option for Crash: turning off knockback. It reduces the damage of the skill but allows for much better combo potential :sparkles:!

Here’s a change I love a lot: NPC ship AI will now crash into land far less often. What used to happen is that you would park your ship at an island while exploring it, a pirate ship would notice it, and crash directly into the land, lowering the durability of the ship to zero and causing all the pirates to aggro on you :skull:, even though it wasn’t your fault. I’ve died from this a lot :sleeper:, so this is amazing.

That island in the previous version has also been finished. In the next patch note, coming up right now, we’ll see it added :eyes:!

Now that it’s added, we’re getting some more information on it! It has a quest, a new fruit type, and even an arena! Arenas allow players to fight and die without a galleon penalty (At least I believe :nod:), and are great flat areas to fight in general. Super hype :pray:! The quest and the new fruit are also very interesting.

We have some changes to the sea, too. Rough seas will no longer be very close to islands, and their water texture will be animated similarly to the rest of the sea :film_frames:. The water in ponds and streams has received an improvement in it’s appearance, too! Here’s a really neat couple of images of the ocean and the relatively new lighting system :eye::

Let’s move onto some more musical patches. The pitch decrease in music at night has been reduced, so I suppose I’ll have to get used to that :frcryin:. It’s still really neat to hear the music in two different ways, still. The sailing theme will also no longer play at night. And I do definitely think that theme in particular sounded very odd with the lowered pitch and speed :thinking:.

Finally we have the start of our second fighting style skill, which is unspecified in this version. We’ll take a better look at it right now!

This new skill is Smash. There’s options for single or multiple AOEs, just like magic explosions :boom:. There also seems to be an option for the move to either slam down in the ground for high AOE and damage, or do it in the air for a smaller shockwave, but would be able to hit opponents higher in the air :airplane:.

And yet again, a new island is being worked on! Perhaps the Grand Navy island that’s been teased so many times :mariomug:. But only time will tell! Maybe it’ll replace Sailor’s Lodge, which is currently being burnt down by Kriss and someone else (I think Mimhere :mag:?)

I’m just joking… i’m sure it’ll, uh, be fine :fr:. The fire department will come, of course. Let’s move on to one last image taken by me, and probably one of my favorites I have saved :nod:.

Quite spooky :ghost:! In reality, it’s a glitched White Eyes where its eyes are disconnected from its body, and the tail is just barely cropped out of the image :eye:. We do a little trolling.

That’s all for today’s anchor of The Odyssey Feed. Peace out :v:!

:popcorn:

On Topic!

What would you give to a forumer you like or know
Posted by @Farerflare
Each member of the Arcane Odyssey Forums is rather unique. From edgelord, to diabolical overlord, to 5 year old, we have it all :fr:! And if you could give anything to anyone as a personalized gift, what would it be, and to whom would it be given to :thinking:? It’s also an excuse to randomly ping people!

:art:

Arcane Art!

King David Silver - A throne built in ashes
Created by @Kenda
The King of Summer Hold, in the flesh! In this dramatic art piece depicting the king of flames, he sits atop his menacing throne with a more menacing pose, with a more menacing expression :cold_sweat:. As if it wasn’t already menacing enough, a wall of flames separates the point of view from the king… and his working eye glows like an ember in the darkness :fire:. Super neat art :pray:!

:pencil2:

Writing Wizardry!

An Apocalypse Sonnet
Written by @ThatOneGuy
The notorious Apocalypse Bringer enjoyer writes a masterpiece :mariomug:. Though they say it’s not a romantic relationship, I simply do not believe it with the amount of effort put into this. Truly, the only thing missing from this sonnet are massive amounts of rapidly expanding and destructive magically fueled chemical reactions :boom:. Great job on this!

:scroll:

The Chart!

Last anchor’s riddle solver was @sock! Congratulations for being the first to crack it! The answer was… ”Ulf”!

You Open The Scroll…
“A mix of magic and vitality.”

First to comment or message me with the answer will get a shoutout next anchor!

:link:

Important Links

The Odyssey Feed Topic

The Odyssey Feed Discord Server

Arcane Odyssey Trello

The Arcane Lily

Thanks for reading!

Wassup!
24 Likes

:frhigh:

2 Likes

smash

2 Likes

embed fail :troller:

1 Like

woah funny headings

1 Like

Elm Island?

1 Like

Fixed!

Nope.

Cirrus Island?

1 Like

A bit more obscure than that lol.

1 Like

Bruh why isn’t the table of contents working :fr:

orange island

1 Like

one of these?

1 Like

Nope.

has to be mimhere

2 Likes

Darkpine?

1 Like

flame him for using genshin soundtrack

1 Like

Imagine hating on a good song just because you don’t like the game it’s from :nerd_face:

1 Like

if your rival gets max level, do you have to save them or do rivals just not get executed?

1 Like

it was an obvious joke dang

1 Like