World of Magic is terribly designed compared to AA

Sure certain game features were pretty bad but my only real problem with wom was definitely the lack is spell customization.

Anger

I disagree.

Vetex didn’t spend a lot of time on completing features because they were going to be completed in separate updates, but that doesn’t mean that he didn’t add new shit.

Take the best zone in the game: bronze grasslands. The rest of that update was absolute shit, but I tolerate the guild update because it brought us the bronze grasslands.

looks at AA

1 Like

Yes… let the hate flow through you!

Man’s not wrong, though yea this is nothing that’s not been discussed before.
Maybe this time we’ll see actual discussion of the game’s flaws, and how AO addresses some (but not all) of them.

nah who am i kidding
who else is excited for another 126 post AO circlejerk including a 600+ word response from vetex

actual opinion

I’m seeing a lot of people confident that AO is going to fix all of WoM’s flaws, but taking guilds as an example, even with building and point capturing, guilds still don’t actually provide any incentive for people to play together.
In v1.5 vetex removed Team’s teamwork system, which was the only aspect of the Guilds Update that was actually about people playing together (though it might as well have been removed from the start because it was complete garbage). But hey, at least we have a robust, well tested and future-proof guilds backend.

You can’t just add teams and guilds and call it a day. That’s not encouraging people to play together, it’s just a roundabout way of removing friendly fire.
There needs to be rewards or actual content for you to do with your friends. Aside from a maximum 1.2x XP/Crowns multiplier from levelling up your team (the best way of doing this being to get your friends on the same server and then all grind solo), there’s nothing that promotes teamwork. Doing quests together is slower (even with the teamwork system). Doing bosses together is slower. Going chest hunting together is slower. Fighting threats together is harder. Going fishing together is the closest thing this game has to teamplay because at least that’s not actively kneecapped by the presence of friends.

Guilds are riddled with bad design. Aside from the absolute dumpster fire that was the original infamy system (and the mess it still is), infamy being required for guild growth actively killed the guild scene, as almost every guild in the game suddenly found they were hard-capped at 25 members unless they capped themself by only allowing sweaty PvP tryhards to join. A single bad member can undo hours of grinding for the guild, and they don’t even have to be malicious - just inexperienced.

If infamy had just been a leaderboard thing, I doubt anyone would care, but actively preventing any guild from growing unless they were very infamy positive meant that the guild scene was doomed from the start. So many merchant guilds, fishing guilds, good guilds, evil guilds, all kinds of guilds just up and left the moment they got the update they’d been hyped for since release because of one poorly thought out requirement.

WoM’s got way more design issues than just “laggy NPCs bad, dynamically generated quests bad, continent bad”. It’s not just incomplete.

13 Likes

I have some bad news…

Look its my luigi pic with alot of likes :poggers2:

AA’s spells were copy and paste lol which is exactly what wom’s spells are like just with different clashes and effects.

Well that took a while

Alot

it was originally just the first bit but then I kinda went off on a rant about the guilds update
god the guilds update was a disaster

at some point i should make a thread about it

Games like hero’s online and vesteria did the party system pretty well considering you got an exp boost.

After reading through other posts I come back and just wanna say that’s basically Shindo Life

But all of these are easily fixable, superficial issues. With one rework of guild progression, which could likely be done in a week or two, the guild problem you mentioned would be, for the most part, solved. Once more reasons to be in a guild are added, and once small guilds are able to succeed, there will once again be incentive to play with friends. Especially once large-scale events are added, you will need friends to stand a chance. For example, if Legendary weapons work similar to how they did in AA, you would need friends to defend you so that you could claim the weapon.

You can’t kill (town npcs)/talk to/really interact with any of shindo life’s npcs though (that’s why I said WoM was the only one with dynamic npcs, shindo’s npcs are dry af).

Plus, in wom you can have huge npc VS npc battles, which I enjoy a lot

i concur.
that’s about it
on the hedge about the other things but yeah
i agree with this entirely
fuck guilds

1 Like

and one last thing
can we not fucking go on a 5 paragraph oxford level essay rant about how wrong this person is
i’m fucking sick and tired of it