Odyssey Feed ~ Issue #4

The Odyssey Feed :christmas_tree:
The convenient weekly newspaper for Arcane Odyssey
Produced and written by Fang C. Percy.

12/22/2020

Trello News

The week started off with some news with ship parts. Butā€¦

Hereā€™s something more important than that. We have a rowboat reveal, with lanterns!

Screenshot 2020-12-14 at 12.40.32 PM

How crazy does this look? Vetex released these two images on his twitter. He specified that these images were taken with two lanterns equipped to the rowboat. The lanterns soared above my expectations. That lighting is beautiful, and so is the sea. Notice the reflections of the lantern light on the deep dark ocean. :nod:

Incredible job as always, Vetex! Heā€™s definitely making progress.

The model of the rowboat is incredible. Itā€™s definitely a huge change from what it looked like in Arcane Adventures, and in my opinion looks nicer. The rim of the ship adds a flash of detail. Itā€™s simple, and thatā€™s why it works. :mariomug:

This boat was revealed much earlier, but itā€™s not until that breathtaking lighting I really saw it for what it was. Letā€™s hope the future boats are of this quality!

Also make sure to use FastLevels2, Prometheus400, DeepSea300, and Loot5 (If they arenā€™t already expired!)

Not only do we have cool boats, but we also have temperatures! :fire_magic: :ice_magic_var1:

This was something I, personally, was greatly looking forward to. The temperature meter! As you can see, the temperature meter UI, that gauge looking thing on your screen with a red and blue end, is now functioning. Ever wondered why that was there? Now it has a purpose!

Vetex has truly put work into the temperature measurement systemā€¦ A system from 0 to 100 represented by the temperature UI. We have daily changing temperatures, hot and cold islands, day and night, water, weather, and even going traveling from high to low locations on the map, as well as status effects. :frhigh:

Screenshot 2020-12-15 at 10.41.14 AM

Now, why did I want this? Immersion! Which this game will have lots of to spare!

Vetex also announced that UI effects and notifications will appear for certain temperatures. Thatā€™s really cool.

According to the trello, Overheating will give you hazy vision, half stamina regen speed, a orange screen overlay, and the sweating status effect (Which will have some synergies with other magics) until you cool down.

Screenshot 2020-12-22 at 6.48.46 PM

Freezing from low temperatures will reduce your overall movement by 25%, gives the freezing status (Which will only apply frozen once to avoid being stuck in place), and a slight white screen overlay.

You can also charge your magic to affect your temperature, but not above or below certain levelsā€¦ This will be such a cool feature and canā€™t wait to have advantages with cold and warm magics. :nod:

Hereā€™s a few images from twitter showing the new temperature bar, notifications, as well as some of this good looking UI:

EpgGJUOXcAAKDi4
EpgGlV3W8AE8rYJ

That thermometer looks so cool on both side of the spectrum too. :face_with_monocle: Canā€™t hype up enough for this seemingly small feature!

Besides this potentially HOT addition to the game (Pun intended), what else does our creator have in store for us this week?

Well, Vetex has also removed spawning on islands depending on your level, and instead, storyline progress. Thatā€™s good! This is because if you were at level 90 when you got into the game, you would spawn far away from Dawn Island. :sleeper:

I remember spawning at the Borealis before defeating Verdies and having to backtrack through the oceans. Glad thatā€™s gone, haha!

Vetex has also made many bug fixes including storyline and temperatureā€¦

But now our creator has started to work on Redwake. Infact, heā€™s 60% done with the second known island, which will have a shipyard according to trello. Redwake will be a port town connecting two large spiky rocks in the ocean. More details on this progress next week! :frhigh:

Forum Topics of the Week

Probably the biggest and most controversial topic this week is the third Off-Topic Presidential Election, held by @Robotstics. With over 300 comments in less than 2 hours, this blew up insanely fast, popularized by candidates putting up advertisements.

What was a civil debate and vote at first turned into pointing fingers, which lead to @Devo being disqualified due to his use of alt accounts. Before it spiraled out of control, @liu put an end to it, and became president in a second election soon after.

The second topic will also be relating to the presidential electionā€¦ Itā€™s @liuā€™s Presidential Acceptance Speechā€¦ but something is off. Macabre has officially declared herself Empress of the entire forum in a dictatorship, and has segregated the different forumers in certain ranks of power, her Catalysts being first class.

So, how will this play out, and will war erupt? Only time will tell. Tensions are rising. Congratulations, Macobre! :nod:

But then, Macabre immediately left her presidency (Or her Empress status) Because of unknown or stress related causes, also down below. She wishes the best for the next off-topic president!

For our first time, a suggestion isnā€™t on our list, though there were lots of good onesā€¦ This is going to be a forumer tier list maker by @anon64436269. Many people made their own tier lists (Maybe some were a bit rigged or a joke). I donā€™t have enough time, why donā€™t you make your own. Be nice to everyone out there!

Funniest Forum Comment of the Week
Please note that this is an opinion and that many comments may have been missed.

Hereā€™s @BNTarwarn commenting on @JTNā€™s picture of Femtex. It looks like these two artists have finally found something in common with each other (Scratch that, they probably have before.) Two good artists, funny comment. Completed with @Mordenā€™s comment with an image of holy waterā€¦

Vetex probably appreciates this art greatlyā€¦ But itā€™s still cursed and funny.

Art of the Week

d2829f4cc076b22abfd4cded01cc94ad03363ecb_2_690x215

This week for our art we have ā€œRowing in the Rainā€ by @BNTarwarn, which was a near immediate winner once it came out. The shading is beautiful, as well as the simplistic style of the boat, contrasted by the realistic and rain, with incredible lighting from the lanterns reflecting on the ocean and rain. The Lanterns were a nice touchā€¦ Doubt it but hope the game will have this good of lighting.

Thereā€™s also been lots of great artwork revolving around the former Catalysts, so check that out as well. Just so much good art to look at each week here, so hard to decide!

Writing of the Week

Just as hard to decide as the art, but Iā€™ve decided on Mercuryā€™s Novel: Part II By @Logan, an interesting short read with wondrous description that gives you a feel for the story all the way through, in a continuing series (Iā€™m gonna have to read the first partā€¦) I loved the setting, and the dynamic characters. Good job!

Trivia Question

Last weekā€™s Trivia winner isā€¦ @UnitVector! Congratulations for being the first to guess right!

The answer wasā€¦ King David Silver!

~

This weekā€™s Trivia Question isā€¦

What are all the variation names of Crystal Magic?

First to message or ping me with the answer will get a shoutout next weekā€™s issue! No Googling!

If you have an idea for a question, make sure to message me! If you do so, you wonā€™t be able to win next weekā€™s trivia. Iā€™ll tell you if itā€™s accepted or not!

Thanks for reading this weekā€™s edition of The Odyssey Feed!

Early Merry Christmas! :christmas_tree:

19 Likes

dang poggers

nice one

1 Like

Procrastination again definitely messes up my scheduleā€¦ I wonā€™t get another issue out by Christmas so this is a christmassy issue. Sorry about this, haha!

understandable

procrastination is the bane of my existence

1 Like

Relatable

good shit

2 Likes

yes it is

Half the forum just got pinged smh

2 Likes

Fun times.

ok I didnā€™t expect to see my comment being there

just me being a disappointed parent

1 Like

this is pog

I had this feeling that I forgot something, and now I found out what it was.
I said last week how Iā€™ll think of another trivia question, if I donā€™t forget, but low and behold I did. Sorry about that.

Anyways, nice newspaper youā€™ve been keeping up for these past few weeks.

Finally, exposure

2 Likes

Lol itā€™s fine

Have a new trivia question this week anyways lol.

swag :mariomug:

That joke was stone cold

1 Like

I was just warming up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.