Ancient Magic Elementals (Primordials) (Open Art Collab)

ART BRAINSTORMING! THIS IS NOT A SUGGESTION OR PLANNED FEATURE! PLEASE READ THE PROMPT BOUNDARIES, TRELLO, AND KEY BELOW, I'VE SEEN SO MUCH OF THE SAME STUFF, THANK YOU!

Suggestions for ancient magic elementals? Preferably mythical and non-human (no mermaids, gods, yetis, bigfoot, or other humanoids), but can also be cryptids if they’re not too human-like. There are already a lot of dragonoids (dragon types like Wyverns, Drakes, etc.) so please refrain from those if you can! Think more like a creature that inhabits the environment and is most in-tune with the element and not the embodiment of it (ex. An arboreal creature for Wood instead of an ent. Or a ground-dwelling animal instead of an Earth golem).

Elemental List

Scorch Magic - Ammit the Eater of Hearts (@liu)
Apocalypse Bringer - Jörmungandr, Ouroboros, and Ragnarök the World Serpents (@ThatOneGuy)
Inferno Magic - Drakon the Burning King (@liu)
Blaze Magic - Chimera the Bane of Man (@Ultra)
Shatter Magic - (Mantis Shrimp) the World Breaker [@anon64436269]
Death Magic - Cerberus, Hound of the Shepherd
Life Magic - 鳌 Áo, Tiamat, and Gaia the World Turtles [@archrono]
Pressure Magic - Angler fish (@Cat_Bread)
Electron Magic - भेरुण्ड Bheruṇḍa the Polarized Souls (@liu)
Equinox Magic - Ailia + Eve the Twins of Conflict (@Fluect)
Sacrific Magic - Azazel the Lamb (@Ultra)
Equilibrium (Balance) Magic - Anubis the Wolf Shepherd of Souls [@LonesomeWolf / @liu]
Promethean Fire - 四鳳凰 Sìfènghuáng the Four Sacred Fires (@liu)

Noncanon Magics
Aethereal Flame - Ra-Horakhty of Two Horizons (@Fluect)
Darkflame - Apophis the Lord of Chaos (@LonesomeWolf)
Permafrost - 滕六 Téng Liù the Frozen Tyrant (@liu)
Ichor Magic - Nazihah the Queen of a Thousand Whispers (@liu)

Dualities
None yet

Primordial Mythos
Scorch Magic - Ammit the Eater of Hearts

Alternative Titles

• Devourer of the Dead
  • Great of Death
  • Divine Retribution
  • The Soul Eater
  • Evil of the Pit

Names

• Cerberus

Said to reside in the Underworld in the River Styx, she is the elder sister to Chimera (though she is also referred to as a three-headed male dog named Cerberus). Ammit works alongside Anubis in weighing the scales of people’s hearts against one of Sìfènghuáng’s feathers. Should the heart be found heavier the lost soul would then be bound by a weight anchored to them by chains of Magic and rolled into the river of fiery green flame to be eternally restless until devoured by Ammit. Even those clever enough to slip the bonds of fate have little chance of salvation as she pursues them relentlessly. Her hunting prowess on land is as proficient as the River, meaning escape to the salvation and immortality promised and granted by Anubis is all but impossible for the damned of the River.

She is described as having the head of a crocodile, the forequarters of a lion, and the hindquarters of a hippo; a combination of some of the largest “Man-Eaters” known to exist. Her teeth are long and narrow like her jaw to quickly snap up and ensnare writhing souls within her maw with little chance of escape. Her breath is as fiery as her mane, which blazes a bright green like that of her breath while a powerful tail made for efficient swimming drags behind.

Inferno Magic - Drakon the Burning King

Alternative Titles

• The Inferno King
  • The Neutron Star
  • The King of Stars

Said to have descended from the stars and hail from a white star the Primordial appears most consistently with a name that directly translates as “Drakon.” Throughout ancient history he was hailed as a largely malevolent and tyrannical king, ruling with a burning grasp of his talons and searing winds by his wingbeats. Cruel and uncaring to the world around him, his hot temper could only be appeased through constant praise and worship by the creatures of the Earth. To punish and discourage rebellion, Drakon would often display his magnificent power, devastating entire islands by simply flapping his wings or flying near them, the heat from his body so intense that seas would evaporate in his wake and buildings and trees would be set ablaze as he soared near.

It remains uncertain when he first made contact with the Earth, however his rule lasted some 10 million years before Drakon was seemingly driven out by an unknown adversary.

Though similar to the modern-day Magma Dragon in many ways (their name being in honor of his), Drakon’s most iconic distinction is the four wings he bears as opposed to the two that Magma Dragons have, replacing the front legs in exchange for more wings. Another key difference in his depictions is that of the crown-like horns stemming from his head, commanding the utmost respect and fear. Emitting flames of a burning blue hue, it’s said that his eyes were so immensely hot that to look into them one would go blind or even die as a result. With such a domineering presence, it’s no wonder he left such an impression as the Burning King of Dragons (including morphs like the Ash Cockatrice, Acid Salamander, Iron Drake, Ink Hydra, Gold Wyvern, etc.).

Death Magic - Taborri the Cannibal Mother

Alternative Titles

• The Nightstalker
  • Winter’s Heart
  • The Rotten Queen
  • Fatebringer
  • The Gods’ Bane
  • The Corpse Huntress
  • Fate Grimm
  • Flesh Eater
  • The Wendigo

Names

• Taborri (Voices that Carry)
  • Tacincala (Deer)
  • Onida (the Expected One)
  • Gaa-Binagwiiyaas (Sloughing Flesh)
  • Aleshanee (She Plays All the Time)

Patchy, matted fur of a midnight black hue sprouts from her flesh, dead and rotting. Somewhat contrasted from the Primordials of old, Taborri is still very heavily references by remote cultures today. Despite this similarity to base Elementals, she has been established as a single individual numerous times and far predates any mention of them. Her name, meaning “Voices that Carry,” is one of many as various sub-cultures name her based on their encounters. Some examples being Aleshanee (She Who Plays All the Time), Onida (the Expected One), Tacincala (Deer), and the masculine Gaa-Binagwiiyaas (Sloughing Flesh). Tacincala is her most frequently used outside of Taborri.

Though she appears relatively humanoid with gaunt features, Taborri is a known shapeshifter able to change in the dark. This is most notable by the form of her antlers, which change with each passing season to a completely different species of ungulate. She is described as reeking of rotten flesh, however no flies surround her as her breath is similarly fatal to inhale as an Ash Cockatrice’s. Her teeth are said to chatter like shivering bones as she cools and chills the air significantly. So much so that frost may appear beneath her footsteps and water freezes where she walks.

It is said that any injuries inflicted by Taborri will result in a status known as Decaying, which increases the rate of cell death tenfold and spreads like a black infection. Though supposedly swift in its action, the process is told as being tremendously painful and may only be “cured” by cutting off infected portions of the body.

A prevalent tale, one often of grim ending, is that of the fabled Taborri’s Game (otherwise known as Tacincala’s Hunt) wherein an unfortunate soul is branded with her Mark of Death, which is a bruising of the heart that spreads throughout the body until their bones break at the slightest bend due to mass tissue death. To win her game one must complete an intense hunt, searching to kill none other than one of Taborri’s own children, which can be a gruesome ordeal especially when afflicted by the special Decay effects of her Mark of Death, which seem to cause failure at a slowed rate compared to normal injuries. By completing the hunt the Mark disappears, though whatever injuries one has acquired beforehand are said to remain. The so-called “Cannibal Mother” will then, as is expected, devour the corpse of her offspring, tearing the rotted flesh from bone. Failure to escape at this opportune time supposedly means death by her rotten claws, while those who win their life are gifted the skull of her child. It is unknown how she ever chooses her players. Some tribes believe it to be a game of honor and skill while others tell it as a cautionary tale to get children to behave. Regardless, it’s best that one avoids the cold dead of night, lest this hungry mother be on the prowl.

Dualities

None yet

Collaborators

None yet

Links
Primordials

Primordial of Scorch : Ammit the Eater of Hearts
Inferno Elemental : Drakon the Burning King
Inferno Elemental headshot
Death Primordial : Taborri the Cannibal Mother

Other Trellos/Drafting Sites

Magic Elementals (Open Art Collab)
Lost Magic Elementals (Open Art Collab)

Magic Elementals Trello
Lost Magic Elementals Trello

Music
  • (Scorch) Ammit the Eater of Hearts : “Asteroid Coaster - Act 3” - Kenichi Tokoi • Vivid Sound/Hybrid Colors
  • (Inferno) Drakon the Burning King : “Keep Your Faith” - 作・編曲:目黒将司 • ペルソナ5 ザ・ロイヤル オリジナルサウンドトラックDisc2
  • (Death) Taborri the Cannibal Mother : “End of the Hall” - Tobias Lilja • Little Nightmares II (Original Soundtrack)

Ranting about the Magic Elementals

3 Likes

Shatter could be a mantis shrimp.

Giant isopod for pressure. Or some sort of deep sea creature probably.

. . . . Frilled shaaaarrrkk

Great idea.

1 Like

Lazarus is a tricky one. The only animal I know of that can come back to life after sustaining a life threatening event is an immortal jellyfish.

1 Like

Hehe, flatworm

1 Like

Planarians when cut be like.

1 Like

Art of infinity could be Ouroboros. But it’s your choice.

1 Like

nono, I really like that one actually

Oh ok then.

How can we get in? I’m not the best but I’d love to do Apocalypse.

oh man i sure love this GAME DISCUSSION topic

It’s an open collab so all you need to do is @ me and officially state is as part of the series! I’d recommend going for something I have completely set so it doesn’t change!

:frhigh:

For Apocalypse Bringer I thought of a monster like the one from the movie The Ritual, with more glowing lights representing the heat of this magic.
Perhaps with wings and more bipedal, but I thought it was pretty cool. I don’t know the name tho, I think it’s just called “the monster”.

Hmm, I only make these based on existing creatures in (folk/)lore and/or irl so idrk about that

Maybe some Eldritch deity tho

For Electron I would say an amphisbaena, like this

One head red, one blue.

(but if you can’t find anything good for Equinox and would rather use this for Equinox than Electron, I’d probably suggest an ampithere (wingless dragon with some feathers), though I think an amphisbaena well for Electron)

1 Like

Jörmungandr would be a nice creature for Apocalypse Bringer. Probably won’t work since it’s not really a species or something from folk lore, it’s from the Norse myths. It’s a large serpent, so large it wrapped around the world and grasp it’s own tail. The moment it releases it’s tail Ragnarök will begin. Ragnarök being a series of events that are essentially the end of the world.

A few issues with this are pretty obvious. One massive problem, pun intended, is it’s size. Seems hard to miss something of that size. It could be rather small and start to grow, disasters growing with it. Another issue is that
Jörmungandr is a one of a kind beast while other creatures mentioned are, for the most part, not one of their own. Still something to consider.

I’d just focus on finding a creature that is somehow related to the end of time, an apocalpse. I am not an artist and I am not you but as the biggest simp for Apocalypse Bringer that’s my two sense on it.

I thought of Jörmungander too, just that it is very similar to Apophis and well, wanted to keep originality, but I’m pretty sure that’s the best option.

1 Like